PDA

View Full Version : flakes & pellets

iceskater
05-13-2003, 11:40 AM
I have spoiled Discus. I have 2 tanks one with 2 lfs discus. The larger of the two eats well. The other one PB will only eat frozen brine shrimp. Both pick at ONF1 gel cubes. In my second tank I have 5 discus new from Cary have had for a little over 2 weeks they eat frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and do well with ONF1. I can not get either of these groups to eat color bits, or discus pellets. I did try flakes a few times they would pick but not eat. Any suggestions?

Karen

Jameson
05-22-2003, 04:04 AM
You need more than two fish in the tank IMO to get a real competitive feed reaction. I like ten to twelve per tank (you argue about the size and stocking water change e.t.c.) and you drop ANY food in there and they attack it. I never thought my discus could eat like this until I got them on a good water change regimen (50% 5-7 times a week) and I put enough together to make them want to "get their share". They are happier IMO when they have friends, as juvenile up to 11-14 months on average. The tank i speak of is a 55gal with twelve PRIME discus from Gil Curtin and FRANK of FCDiscus. I actually was at franks the other day and wrestled two LARGE fat bodies around 6 months old. Blue diamond/snakeskin crosses that settled in and ate THREE different dry foods that they have never had before. They ate ONF prime reef flake, OSI staple granules, and ONF formula one pellets within an HOUR of being in my tank. All because IMO, it tastes good to them, and the others eat it in seconds. I am in a situation where I cannot feed enough. They are all always hungry and frankly spook me out by eyeing me all the time when I am in the room.

IMO get a few more GOOD quality disease free fish (not that your LFS doesent have them but....) I would go to a local breeder if you can, if you cannot afford it right now,, save up. Get a bigger tank later on when they grow. What does everyone end up telling each other here right? I know the inevitable 120is in my fiture. 6 months down the road I am gonna have a dozen or more adults (knock on wood) so the story goes...