PDA

View Full Version : Garlic for Flukes, How much?

Russ
05-14-2003, 02:00 AM
I recentlly treated my discus for flukes using Formalin 3 twice a week at 2 teaspoons to 10 gallons for 3 1/2 weeks, and a week after treatment my discus started breathing fast again. I read an article a while ago by Jack Wattley suggesting using fresh squeezed garlic in food for around 5 weeks for flukes, but I don't rember how much to put in the food, does any know how much to use and if this treatment was effective for them?

I do 30-50% water changes daily
Ammonia 0
PH 7.8

I know salt is helpful with respiratory problems, but I have several bristle-nosed plecos in the tank, is it safe to use salt with them?

Russ

Carol_Roberts
05-14-2003, 02:09 AM
I doubt garlic would work better than formalin or prazi for flukes.

Mike_Selley
05-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Russ,

Are you sure it's flukes? I had a problem with high nitrites recently and thought it was flukes. Lot of things including temp drop or WC with little different water params cause rapid breathing. Just a thought. :)

jamesmcsyd
05-15-2003, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't bother treating unless they are scratching, flashing, ot twitching etc, particularly as Russ says if it's just rapid breathing.

Interestingly, as most people praise prazi and formalin, I find trichlorofon still the best of the lot.

James