PDA

View Full Version : DRIP TANKS

sony
05-15-2003, 02:50 PM
can any of you tell me where to buy a drip tank that turns over once per day. also tell me about experiences with these tanks. thanks.

JeffreyRichard
05-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Can you explain what you mean "drip tank"? If you are talking about a system in which you continuously drip fresh water into, I can do that (along with several other people here). Let me know.

CARY_GLdiscus
05-15-2003, 07:47 PM
www.dripirrigation.com

8)

sony
05-15-2003, 08:15 PM
i do mean a tank that is continuously dripping. give pros and cons. cary, can you tell me of a complete system available? do i need a special aquarium or can i drill my own if not tempered. thanks for all your help.

CARY_GLdiscus
05-15-2003, 09:19 PM
Hi Sony,

All My tanks are drilled with bulkhead fittings. I drip 1 to 2 Gals a hour when am away.

Also I have a few tanks not drilled all you need to do is build a syphon Tube out of pvc

HTH 8)

CARY_GLdiscus
05-15-2003, 09:19 PM
:D

CARY_GLdiscus
05-15-2003, 09:20 PM
;)

Bruce
05-19-2003, 02:13 AM
I like Cary's siphon overflow and drip system.

Now I'm wondering if I even need the storage tank under the main tank, which I took so much trouble to set up.

I noticed that it was only used when away from home. Would there be a reason why a hobbyist wouldn't want to use the drip system in lew of a conventional water change with aged water? I imagine the pH would be constant if the tap drip is constant, multiple heaters could also handle a small drip of cold water, and even a chlorine/chloramine treatment gravity drip could be easily rigged with an IV drip from a medical supply store.

The temptation of never having to deal with another water change for the rest of my Discus days is alluring . . .

dred
05-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Drip v. Chlorine/chloramine:

Well set up a good carbon block filter, and you can skip the IV drip. I've T'd the prefilter output from my R/O unit as a source of chlorine free water.

That said, I still drip from a holding tank. Tank filled by "prefiltered" water to level switch in holding tank. Water deliverd from storage barrel by pond pump and drip irrigation equipment on timer.

Didn't drill either tank (yeah, just added another), but built overflow's instead.

The biggest obstacle IMO is plumbing your water in, and disposing of the waste water. In my case, I'm locating tanks strategically for waste water overflow, and plumbing fresh water input with .25" irrigation tubing.

hth, milton