PDA

View Full Version : Food mix in Auto-Feeder

ralf
05-16-2003, 10:37 AM
I'm looking into buying an Eheim Auto-Feeder
btw. Big Al has them for $32.99 good price http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?inCUR=US

In the descriptions the unit is for DRY FLAKE FOOD only.
I wonder is somebody is using their Auto-Feeder with a food mix like Flake-Color Bits
or any other granulate or pellet food

Ralf

daddyg70
05-26-2003, 03:57 AM
Hey Ralf,

I use a Hagen brand autofeeder (nutramax?) that feeds twice a day. I use a combination of ONF1, ONF2, and tetra colorbits. I feed 6x a day. CBW in AM, two from the autofeeder, wife feeds FBW midday, BH, clean tank, and CBW or FBW at night.

HTH
Greg 8)

Bruce
05-29-2003, 11:40 PM
I'm looking into buying an Eheim Auto-Feeder
btw. Big Al has them for $32.99 good price http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?inCUR=US

In the descriptions the unit is for DRY FLAKE FOOD only.
I wonder is somebody is using their Auto-Feeder with a food mix like Flake-Color Bits
or any other granulate or pellet food

Ralf

Just got my Eheim last week and have been using a mix of ColorBits, Tetra freeze dried bloodworms, and three different Omega One Flakes (First Flakes, Color Flakes, and Kelp Flakes). Seems to work out okay in the feeder as the rotation keeps the items mixed up, and the baffled outlet is amply sized. The instructions say that flakes, pellets, and freeze dried is okay, but not frozen or live food (no duh!).

Funny thing is that when I watch them feed, the discuss all spit out the food (all types, Colorbits, freeze dried bloodworms, flakes), often, several times in a row. You would think they hated it. I come back 30 minutes later and the tank is completely clean of these dry foods.

I got mine at Big Als also. Everyone else wanted $44-50 US. I'm impressed with the technology. The food does stay completely dry as the food outlet is on top side of the rotating hopper, facing up, so the water from popping bubbles and evaporation accumulate only on the bottom side of the hopper. Plus, there's a simplistic micro fan that operate everytime the hopper is rotated for feeding so that fresh air is pump through the hopper as the food is tumbled.