PDA

View Full Version : LOWERING PH

razzbo56
05-16-2003, 10:56 PM
My ph out of my ro unit is 7.9 ! Can I use muratic acid to slowly lower my new setup ? No fish yet,I just filled it up today. 150 gallon oceanic,2- 2026 eheim filters. :-\

Carol_Roberts
05-16-2003, 11:16 PM
The pH of RO water is hard to measure. Before you start adding acid get your percentages of RO and tap figured out to get the desired hardness or tds. The see what the pH does in the tank. You most likely won't have to adjust it.

Paulio
05-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Muriatic Acid will no doubt drop the pH in a hurry. Problem is it tends to bounce right back and not too long after. I agree with Carol, see what happens in the tank. If it is still higher than you like think about peat.

Paul

05-17-2003, 03:36 AM
Hi All,

Before you use anything let us know if that is pure R/O water or did you mix it with tap ?

As carol said R/O water is hard to measure (pH).
I was told by Walter the H2O guru as well have read at the crib that Pure R/O should be at pH neutral (7.0)
Pure non reconditioned R/O has no buffering capability.

Paul is right with the Muriatic Acid. That refers to water with very high buffering capacity.
Muriatic Acid can also go the other way.
If you add Muriatic Acid to water with low KH you strip out more KH and risk a pH crash.

I would recommend that you first try to mix the R/O with Tap water. Try first 50/50 and then go from there. You can also add the minerals back using something like R/O right.
Do all the preparing in a holding bin not in the Tank.

In the water section you will find tons of more information regarding this issue.

hth Ronald

Rob R.
05-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Hello Razz,
The ph out of my tap is over 10.0! I've tried everything including mixing RO and muriatic acid. The only thing I've found that is dependable and inexpensive is the use of peat moss. Nothing else will produce a very stable PH unless you use a phosphate-based buffer which will give you unwanted side effects (algae blooms, large empty spaces in your wallet ;)). Muriatic acid will create a wrestling match that you won't win. If you are interested in using peat, email me and I will instruct you on how to construct a pressurized peat filter that works so beautifully you won't believe it. My water goes in 10.0, comes out between 4.0 and 6.0 and a nice, clear tan color that makes the fish feel like they are right at home in the amazon ;D 8). Use sodium bicarb to raise to the desired PH and you have the most stable water you could ask for 8) 8)
Rob-----tmb9898@ksu.edu