PDA

View Full Version : Why do you put that in?

taybelZ
05-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Just wanted to start a topic on the discussion of our discus' food mixes and why we put particular ingredients in and what effect or impact it has on our fish. Now i know that I/we use :

Beefheart - cheap source of protein.(for growth)
Prawn - brings out colour in fish, as well as help fertility.(i think)
Wheatgerm - help fertility
Bananas - help digestion of food

So tell us, what you put into your beefheart of frozen discus mix, and why you put it in as well as the results you have seen from using it(if possible)

Thanks
ave

CARY_GLdiscus
05-19-2003, 01:58 AM
Well,
I feed My cbw's Bananas and feed the cbw to my fish.
I use raw shrimp about the same as prawns.

I also add Spirulina + plakton flakes for Binding and 5mls of baby Muti Vitamin's to every LB.

Anyways they grow big and fast most reaching 6" by 7 to 8 months depending on strain or type. They breed live well with most dyeing after 8 years.

About the wheatgerm I never used it and have no problem with fertility I know some of the best Guy's use it but from what I have read is not digestable by fish.

However I could be wrong again dpending how its mixed in and with what.

IME W/Cs and Healty Discus work on fertility alone. Most even claim that worms are best. Shrimp And Prawns more so for color.

HTH
Cary Gld!

ReeferKimberly
05-19-2003, 02:28 AM
cary,
u feed your cbw bananas? i would like to try that. how do u do it? just drop a piece in with them? how long does it stay ok with them in the fridge? thanks man!
kimmy :-*

CARY_GLdiscus
05-19-2003, 02:34 AM
Hi Kimmy,
I only use the peels.

ReeferKimberly
05-19-2003, 02:39 AM
hmm really,
ok i'm gonna go do that...
what exactly does it do...help with digestion as mentioned above? or maybe make the cbw more nutricious since they are feeding?
thanks
kimmy :-*

Rod
05-19-2003, 05:10 AM
Beef heart about 75%, deshelled prawns including the head meat about 25%. Spirilina powder, garlic oil and a little vege matter ( banana, apple or capsicum) is also added. The prawns are sometimes varied with bivalve meat and roe, crabs or fish flesh.

taybelZ
05-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the tip Cary, i will have to try the banana skin trick...been told to feed em that by serveral people... but down in Aus we dont' get CBW... just regular BW... wonder what the difference is.

Rod just wondering what purpose does the banana, apple or capsicum have on the fish? ie do it just help digestion of the food?