PDA

View Full Version : got it right then ate the next batch

grrrr8guy
05-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Well I'm raising a batch of discus fry and was hoping I was out of the woods. Mom and Dad have eaten the next batch of eggs. The strange thing is is I was sick before the successful batch I was only changing water twice a week the microsemens climbed to over 200 and I ran out of bloodworms and brine shrimp so I fed them daphnia. everything was different and bang babies. I tried to write it off as coincidence and figured mom and dad just got it right. So I went back to 80 microsemens and water changes daily. Fed them after eggs were down which I didnt do the first time until the eggs wiggled. Bang they ate the eggs. Im confused. Im tempted to go with the 200 microsemens and a bit of neglect as that worked lmao oh well.
P.S
I'm Running a string in the photo section with a few new shots of the fry daily , its interesting to see how quickly they are changing.

grrr8guy

Carol_Roberts
05-21-2003, 12:30 AM
Your babies are starting to look more like round discus everyday.

Are you really in a hurry to have another batch right now? Raise your ms a bit if you want, but keep up with the daily water changes/cleaning . . . . otherwise you'll have babies and wonder why they all are dying from bacterial infections . . .

Richman
05-21-2003, 01:03 AM
These fish are somtimes puzzling, aren't they. I have a pair that only ate eggs a couple of times and then began raising fry as great parents. After 2 successful spawns, they have given me two tankfuls of juveniles. Then for some reason, they began eating the eggs again. Two spawns, to be exact.
While trying to figure out what was different, I noticed that the bbs hatchery is right in front of their tank, and I now have another tank along side. So when I am in that room, most of my constant activity was right around their tank. Wondered if I was just spooking them enough with all this activity to make them eat the eggs.
So the last time they spawned, I placed a large towel over the tank to give them privacy and screen off their vision from everything going on. I put their food carefully in the opposite end of the tank and did wc by only lifting a corner of the cover. After a couple of days, I peeked in and found about 120 wigglers. Last Saturday they became freeswimming.
I think once they successfully raised the first fry, I just took them for granted and quit showing the care around them I did before. Other conditions besides water can affect their behavior.

grrrr8guy
05-21-2003, 01:37 AM
Point well taken Richman about activity around the tank , my hatchery is right beside them too. When i was sick i was feeding the angels flake food and not hatching shrimp as I hadnt taken eggs in a while. Also when i was sick I was only in there to change water sporaticly and feed.

And hi to you Carol

I can sell all the discus I can raise and would like to change from spawning angels to spawning discus.

I would like to find some good stock solid red or yellow , a good strain , I also have a 3 pigeon blood and an ocean green growing up in my 100 gallon tank and may keep a few fry. I have 5 25 gallon grow out tanks and might sell one pair of breeding angels to free up my 90 gallon tank to grow out some of the fry. I have to consider all of my options.

grrrr8guy.