PDA

View Full Version : Breathing Rates

DiscusJeff
05-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Does anyone know what would be a normal breathing rate for discus? I'm curious to see if I might have low oxygen levels in my water.

barron
05-23-2003, 01:18 AM
I read that 60 per min. is avg. normal. I guess a little lower would be better. However they say 60 is normal.

Carol_Roberts
05-23-2003, 02:28 AM
You can increase the O2 levels in your water by lowering the level of the water in the tank a 1/2 inch below the water return so the water cascades into the tank. The extra agitation increased uptake of oxygen. Cooler water can absorb more oxygen too.

FrankLuvsDiscus
05-23-2003, 02:10 PM
;D Thanks for the tip Carol ,,,,, i'll do that ,, after a w/c i usually make sure it fills up past the output tubes of my filters so there's no sound........... but makes more sense to have more aeriation of the water..............

also don't juvenile discus breath faster than adults as a general rule , and also if they've just eaten there breathing will be faster and or during feeding.

Franko ;D

barron
05-23-2003, 08:02 PM
Yonger ones do breath faster, but on avg. not more then 25%. When swimming or eating they can double the normal resting or relaxed rate.