PDA

View Full Version : Flapping of tail....

Traveller
05-23-2003, 04:11 AM
Does flapping of the tail on another fish meant that the fish are getting to pair off???

ReeferKimberly
05-23-2003, 04:22 AM
IME i have never had a pair of mine tail slap. it's usually a sign of aggresion rather than flirtation. but some have had pairs do this quite often. it's diff with every fish. do those fish also shake and "bow" for eachother? if so, they could definately be pairing, if not, they could just be establishing a pecking order.
kimberly :-*

Traveller
05-23-2003, 04:35 AM
ya .. they did bow at each other sometimes... but i'm not too sure about "bowing" ... do u have some pic showing how discus bow at each other....

thanks ... 8)

ReeferKimberly
05-23-2003, 03:52 PM
i have no pics of them doing it, but it's basically two fish swimming to eachother head up and then once they get side by side they usually do a little head down "bow". it pretty obvious and most pairs will do it pretty often, but some never do it at all. it's always different ;D
kimberly :-*
p.s. i hope your are in fact a pair...i'm just starting out with my fish pairing off as well.

RandalB
05-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Traveler,
I've had tail slapping go on with malesXmales and MalesxFemales and FemalesXfemales. It seems to be an aggression thing more than mating behavior to me. I've also never seen a "bow" go on. I can tell mine are ready when they start cleaning objects and wiggle at each other. What I am calling a Wiggle is like a whole body shudder kinda thing. They'll line up on a spawning site and wiggle, or go near the other fish and wiggle. I've been told that behavior is a "Let's go for it" signal to the other fish.

HTH,
RandalB

Carol_Roberts
05-23-2003, 07:03 PM
I think it looks more like a shudder than a wiggle.

Rick00
05-23-2003, 10:47 PM
i've seen them bow and shake and shiver....

Rod Coleman
05-23-2003, 11:54 PM
Tail slapping/body waving seems to me to be a show of strength trying to establish dominance or attract a mate - great fun to watch. A higher level of aggression is charging, butting and biting, especially defending a spawning site or keeping off mating rivals.

What about the alert, pelvic fins thrust forward stance that seems to say holding my ground here - watch out! That's a nice display.

Regards
Rod

Traveller
05-24-2003, 02:22 AM
Thanks guys !! for all the great help u' all have provided !!

Many thanks .... ;D ;D