PDA

View Full Version : Aprils yellow fish.

April
05-24-2003, 12:24 AM
these are two of my yellow crystals ive been growing out.
i got them at about 1.5 inches or nearly 2 inch. theyve grown to about three inch or so. their still young....still have some growing to do.
I only have two.
they did alot of travelling. first from asia then to one place in the states then to another then to my house . their more travelled than me.

April
05-24-2003, 12:25 AM
heres the other guy. this ones a bit lighter in colour.

Carol_Roberts
05-24-2003, 12:29 AM
They look very healthy now April and lots of color for young fish. These are from pure golden stock - no pigeon?

April
05-24-2003, 12:31 AM
well...they do have a bit of pepper on the nose of one.
but yes meant to be from browns. they are not growing as fast as some.but did get off to a slow start?
what do you think of the shape? i was thinking of selling them.

Carol_Roberts
05-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Well . . . . nose is a little pointy, but not bad, may grow out of it . . . . How old are they now? Very clean and nice red eye . . .

April
05-24-2003, 01:05 AM
ummmm....cant remember when i got them...maybe march or february?

SLY
05-24-2003, 01:29 AM
april both are not in good condition if u ask me..I am sorry. :(

April
05-24-2003, 01:44 AM
dont be sorry sly.just send me some others.....with no taxes taken off. ::)
they had a rough start. and were only two to raise togeather..for awhile while in quarantine. so were very shy and took at least a few weeks to eat. and they were already thin and had to be metroed before i got them.
they have grown.

ReeferKimberly
05-24-2003, 03:16 AM
i love to color and thier nice eyes. i believe they have great potential to be beautiful fish. i cannot completely judge as i cannot see them in person... but I think with good food and water and such a knowledgable owner, they could be gorgeous!!! there shape could even out to be very nice!
kimberly :-*

Willie
05-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Is the color accurate, April? Mine are a pure canary yellow. I get pictures with an orangish hue if I don't use a flash. The white patches are an artifact of the flash, since all my fish are uniformly yellow. No speckling visible yet.

Willie

April
05-24-2003, 09:32 AM
mine defnitely are not that colour at all willie. yours are nice.
some days in fact one of them has a very orange body and a lighter head. i used a flash and an slr camera.
and when my ph went down low they were stressed and they had dark blackish fins and pepper on the nose. it looked like a young marlboro. ph up a bit they are back yellowish orange. they looked light yellow when i got them. id say quite accurate maybe not quite as bright on the one canary yellow one.
you can see the pepper on the nose on the second one.
My friend here has the other two. i will get him to look at the pic and see ifhe thinks his look like mine.

05-24-2003, 09:40 AM
WOW!! Those dont even look close to the same type...Really nice Willie!

Pril....Are you color feeding at all? Or is it just a difference in cameras and lighting maybe ???

I was going to say the shape was a "bit" pointed...but not terrible....THEN I SAW WILLIES. With a side by side comparison there's a huge difference! The eye's on yours look to be less proportionate also when compared to Willies, But I guess that could be due to the fact your fish have red eyes(stand out more)...and the rough start that you mentioned. :-\
IS there a correct eye color for this "type"...or a preferred eye color?
If you dont mind giving out you most "intimate" details ;D...what didja pay for these fish Pril?

Tony

April
05-24-2003, 10:27 AM
ok mine went to another breeders house before i got them and they were ill. they had to be defluked and metroed. they came vey skinny. ordered 8 got 5. one died..first day and two went to my friend. the rest werent well enough to travel so werent sent.
another friend also got some on the island. i will have to see what his look like. i'll get him to look at willies and mine and see where he thinks his fit in. shipped the same time. he got 5.
they were being sold for 55 usd. we got a deal for 40 usd. each.

Liz_Streithorst
05-24-2003, 10:49 AM
April, I got some about 6 weeks ago. They were lighter when I first got them. Now they are orangish and some have quite a bit of pepper on the body! Shapes are so so. I'm treating the fish in their tank for flukes (although these guys themselves showed no symptoms) and am wondering if the prazi is affecting their color as it is worse now than before I started. Also, I feed Tetra Color Bits once a day. One of my guys has sky blue markings on his dorsal. He was very attractive before he oranged/peppered up. Mine are still too young to make any definate judgements about, though.

Liz

Denny
05-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but a yellow crystal should have zero peppering due to the fact they are brown based. Aquarius purchased some also that had peppering and when the seller saw the peppering, they said it was a mistake as when they are small, the crystals can resemble marlboro's and said that they would send replacements to correct the mistake.

Could this be why April's appear different than Willie's?

April
05-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Liz. no colour feeding here. i dont use tetra bits. i use blackworms and a bit of beefheart. occasionally a bit of onf1 but i was out till two days ago till jeff sent me more. so they hadnt had any for at least a month.

Denny
05-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Here is a link that addresses the peppering issue in yellow fish.

Yellow Crystals = Brown base-no pepper
Canary Yellow= Brown/Pidgeon cross -has pepper

http://www.aquaforums.com/forums/index.php?s=49d4a08e95860e11d18a35236a5bca45&act=S T&f=8&t=2452&st=15

Denny

Jeff
05-24-2003, 12:17 PM
April,

I know how desperately you wanted those yellows. You waited months to try to get some quality yellows in. You ordered from a reputable breeder, they came in and from the stress of shipping and other problems they had they didn't turn out like what you wanted. I know you have done everything you can to turn them around, but its not working. Because you have been such a good friend I will replace those for you so you can have the yellows you always wanted. I have some nice Goldens growing out and will have some for you this summer. Merry Christmas in August!!! 8)

Willie yours are looking great. I like the white they have on them I think the little white patches they have only adds to the overall beauty of those discus. Keep up the good work. ;)

CARY_GLdiscus
05-24-2003, 02:02 PM
I agree DJ,
Someone has been Fooled! Me and many others. Thoses are PB all the way!

Discus_Hans
05-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Hmmmm strange ??? Denny your link is not working? Hans.

05-24-2003, 05:05 PM
I think that something similar happened on Joe's forum.

Somebody recieved crystals and they showed peppering.

Joe explained that yellow crystal should not have any.

I think he said that he is going to talk with his supplier.

alex

April
05-24-2003, 07:43 PM
;D ;D Jeff. your a sweetheart. i may just have to add a few others to that order. make it worth your while.
ok..so heres my question. are they born pointy or did they turn pointy and long bodied due to the stress they went through?
sounds like a mix was sent by the supplier of crystals and some crystal x pigeons which has become more apparent as time goes on.

Carol_Roberts
05-24-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm sure genetics plays some part, but health and diet do too. Discus fry are long and pointy. Healthy, well fed discus get pretty round by about two months. Sickly, underfed discus keep the oblong, pointy shape. There is a period of time during the growing stage . . . . a window of opportunity that once passed cannot be regained.

yogi
05-25-2003, 10:36 AM
This looks like a case for the Discus Police.

CARY_GLdiscus
05-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Jerry LOL!

brew1
05-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Willie, nice looking Yellow Crystals. Would you mind sharing a little background on them with us? Breeder? Importer? Price? Size Purchased? Healthiness? Food used?

Thanks.

April
05-25-2003, 02:04 PM
well i think its hard to get a good yellow fish. my search goes on.. love yellow fish.
willies fish really are very nice indeed. Anyhow..the breeder is returning my money and i thank him. i will use it to get some new yellow fish. : ))
And im sure he was under the impression when he imported them that they all were yellow crystals.

another hint i learnt from my friend Sly. Best not to feed yellow fish with tetra colour bits or you will have nice orange fish.

Willie
05-25-2003, 03:00 PM
My Yellow Crystals came from Enchanted Discus. They were about 2" long, including tail. I got six of them and they've grown about an inch in the past 6 - 7 weeks. They may have had 1 - 2 meals of blackworms, but all the other times, its been just beefheart with vitamins. None of them have developed any speckling. They have red eyes. The only other non-yellow pigment has been some red on the edge of the dorsal and anal fins.

Willie

Jeff
05-25-2003, 04:14 PM
That's good to hear April,

That is the advantage of dealing with a reputable breeder. They will stick behind their Discus. A good lesson for all the newbies. ;)

SLY
05-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Willie I would like to see their development later..in order to see whether they have pigeon gene..u can try exposing them to the sunlight or use a dark background..keep us updated. ;)

05-26-2003, 01:15 AM
What's wrong with PB? ??? ???

April, you can't get that yellow color without PB gene somewhere along the line.... I have tried some F1 wilds sold as wild yellows, the F2's color darkens rather than lightening..... Without PB you can't get that yellow, the ones from Ghosts sold by kitti as tong thai dosen't have such yellow coloration.....

brewmaster15
05-27-2003, 03:49 PM
April,
I'm sorry your yellows aren't turning out so well. :'( I know how excited you were about getting them! :'( :'( :'(. I have to agree with Sly on them.

Kudos to Jeff for trying to make April feel better here! Class act all the way !!!!!

April, I know Jeff will take good care of you! :)

Willie,
Good luck with your yellows, it should be very interesting to see if they turn on you, or maintain that nice yellow. Can I ask you what your water parameters are?

-al

Willie
05-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Tank is running at pH 7.35, 231 ppm, 460 uSi. My tap water is only 145 ppm and I boost the hardness in grow out tanks with AF Cichlid Chemistry.

For anyone else who is using soft Mississippi River water near the Twin Cities, be advised that pH has risen from 6.8 two weeks ago. No change in hardness.

Willie