PDA

View Full Version : Question about Quarantine?

Mykuhl
05-24-2003, 12:29 AM
I have a question about placing fish in quarantine. Is it safe to quarantine fish together from two completely different sources? I expect them to arrive within a few days of each other. I do not have two tanks and do not have space for two tanks in order to seperate them. Would it be okay to keep them together? Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
05-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Hi Mykuhl:
Lets suppose the fish from place A are 100% healthy and free of flukes. These fish, who had an easy trip, are so healthy their immune system has no trouble fighting the bad bacteria clinging to their slime coat.

Then lets suppose the fish from place B were healthy when they left the breeder except for a few flukes, and unfortunately they had a rough trip compromising their immune system. You mix them all together in one tank.

What happens? Everybody has flukes and the discus from place B with the newly compromised immune sysmtem from the rough trip all get sick. Suddenly you have to treat all the discus - even the healthy ones.

IF you space your purchases out by 6 weeks or so you can finish one quarantine on group A, add them to your existing tank and begin a second quarantine on group B.

Mykuhl
05-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Thank you for the reply Carol. That is kind of what I figured. I was just hoping that it would not be the case. The reason I considered doing it that way was because I am being offered some fish from one source at a good price and I don't think that they will hold the fish for me that long. Maybe I can work something out with my other source.

Jeff
05-24-2003, 01:14 AM
:thumbsup: Right on Carol.

Carol_Roberts
05-24-2003, 01:20 AM
I think you need another tank Mykuhl. I bet you have a blank wall in your bedroom ;)

Mykuhl
05-24-2003, 10:54 PM
I wish I could get another tank but my wife would be upset if I did :-\, especially if I put one in the bedroom.

Jeff
05-24-2003, 11:08 PM
I guess the bathtub is out of the question? :-\

Mykuhl
05-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Sure is Jeff, LOL! My wife would freak out if I did that, and I am sure my landlord would as well :o. Funny that you sould mention that, I know someone that is using an old bath to raise fish in :o.

Jeff
05-25-2003, 01:31 PM
lol. I have used rubermaid storage containers for short term tanks and QT tanks before. You know the 20 gal types. ::)

Mykuhl
05-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Ya, I know those containers, they are quite useful when it come to keeping fish.