PDA

View Full Version : Jack Wattley discus formula

mitch1313
05-24-2003, 11:12 PM
I just picked up some of the ocean nutrition frozen Jack Wattley discus formula. Anyone use this regularly or hear of good results from using it? Is it new to the market or has it been out for a while? let me know. thanks.

fcdiscus
05-24-2003, 11:18 PM
I use it for some of my fish. It is fine, but I do use it before a major WC, as it clouds the water some. It has been around for quite a while now. Frank 8)

Wolf
05-25-2003, 01:12 AM
I use it. I also use it a couple of hours before my water change. I'm too lazy to make my own beefheart mix and they seem to like it. I've also been feeding it to my fry with the ocean nutrition formula one and they eat it up.

limige
05-25-2003, 04:50 AM
i've used it in the past, the fish liked it but it does cloud up the water and they seem to like CBW way more. so now i feed mainly CBW ;D

Willie
05-25-2003, 10:07 AM
I used it at the very beginning of the hobby. One fish must have eaten some with undissolved gelatin. It became bloated and sat in the back of the tank for three days. After that it was fine, but the incident highlighted the low percentage of beefheart in the mix. The product contains other fillers like plant matter, which was fine with me until Jack Wattley gave a talk and stressed that discus were 100% carnivorous.

Willie

iceskater
05-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Willie,
Your post interested me. I had a blue diamond do that just this past few days. Just came out for dinner tonight. I was scared to death. I wonder if the gelatin in ONF1 gel cubes could have caused it?

Well in any case I am so relieved it is over. I imagined everything was wrong with this fish.

Karen

Willie
05-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Karen;

This is a common problem with using gelatin. Gelatin happens to be pure protein so its high quality nutrition. In this case, its used as a binder. I've heard of other cases where discus got bloated from eating commercial food with undissolved gelatin. Its not a problem associated with any single brand.

Willie

05-26-2003, 01:24 AM
Don't use it if you have planted tank, don't use it if you are not going to do a heavy w/c... I felt that it was ground way too much and spreads all over the tank... but the fish loved it though....

05-26-2003, 08:46 AM
Good stuff as long as you do lots of wcs ;)

mitch1313
05-26-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info from your experiences. I haven't gotten the nerve to feed it yet to my fish, but after the formula one is gone i will drop a few in to see if the clan will chow it.

Shari
05-29-2003, 01:32 AM
I just bought it last week and my fish LOVE it! Also found it wasn't as messy in the tank as prior JW Discus Formula was - unless I got lucky with a good package. I've also been adding as a treat Carnivorous pellets for ground feeders.... - omygawd they adore these things!!!

I was thinking the same thing about the carnivorous issue since they get spiralina/kelp/flakes/krill also but they need more meaty foods.