PDA

View Full Version : Overflow question

trucdan
05-28-2003, 03:35 AM
Is there any one here using overflow box in your tanks? If you do have overflow box, please tell me how do you prevent food, especially pellets, to flow into the box? When I drop pellets into the tank, most of them will flow into the box.

Thank you.

Td

Discusgeo
05-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Td the only way to stop this and losing food is to stop the flow of water from your tank. I always had to shut off my filter when I was feeding so I wouldn't lose the food. All my tanks now have sponge filters so I am in good shape.

gary1218
05-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Try soaking the pellets first so that as soon as you put them in the tank to feed the discus they sink.

GARY

ronrca
05-29-2003, 09:57 AM
I have also heard of using a screen siliconed around the top of the overflow box to prevent food and other debrie from getting into the overflow box. You can buy plastic netting or screen that is used for windows at Home Depot.

stilllearnin
05-29-2003, 11:29 AM
you can also use the plastic grids from craft stores it comes with holes as small or bigger then screen and it's plastic so it's sturdier and easy to clean.

ronrca
05-29-2003, 11:50 AM
O yea! Very good idea! I just bougth some actually. These screens are used for knitting pictures on them. I cant remember what they called it. They come in various sizes, different colors.

trucdan
05-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Soak pellet? Gee, some pellets take forever?
I like the idea of the plastic screen. How do they look like and how do you glue them to the box?

td

limige
05-30-2003, 09:23 AM
i setup mine by siliconing to pieces of glass into the corner of the tank. the farthest peice back lets water flow over the top setting the water level and the front peice is lifted off the bottom by a few inches.

this allows the water to be sucked off the bottom of the tank instead of the top and helps keep the tank cleaner without sucking up my floating plants!

by using large peices it gives you a larger water flow area resulting in less of a current so it is a gentle flow. i think mine were cut 12" and 15" wide for my 190gallon tank.

edgeguy
06-02-2003, 09:16 AM
I have my aeriation set up so the bubbles cause the flake food to flow back to the front of the tank. What gets through is usually eaten by my catfish. He goes nuts over Omega flakes and comes to the top. Oh I have a 92 gallon corner overflow if that matters.