PDA

View Full Version : Different Water Parameters for Different Pairs

JeffreyRichard
05-29-2003, 08:55 AM
I have a pair of Leopard Snakeskins ... didn't get a viable hatch until I lowered the hardness to 70 PPM. I have a pair of Marlboro Reds ... they have a spawn that (at this point) shows many fertilized eggs ... hardness is 300 PPM ???

Anyone have a good interpretation of this data?

RWM32779
06-05-2003, 12:19 AM
I have the same kind of problem.I have blue diamonds that lay eggs that are clear and fertile and by the time they hatch only a few turn white.I also have a pair that were supposed to be leopards but look more like ss,probably a cross.Anyway when they lay eggs they turn white within an hour.The male fertilizes them and I have had two batches
hatch.Last one they raised about 80.I was trying to remember If I was doing anything different.Somebody told
me temperture.It seems that I was keeping it about 80 degrees but it took 5 days for them to hatch.Roger told me some strains dont fertilize good at 86 degree's.He said to raise it after they spawn.
I have an ro unit but my bd's egg's will hatch in tap water
so it's possible my tds is to high as i've been trying them in
2/3 ro 1/3 tap.I was thinking of trying straight ro with kents ro right at 82 degree's.The babies are about the size of a 50 cent piece and look excellent and I need more.
I'll let you know what I figure out
Robert

limige
06-05-2003, 03:39 AM
well, i'll tell you what i do know.

the reason most try to keep their tds down is that the egg shells soften up more and make it easier for fertilization or hatching, forgot which.
but you can get a "false" reading from certain minerals that won't make a difference to the eggs.
i do know many breeders will adjust ph with each male to find the best fertization range for each, as well as temp.

i think this is all right, maybe someone could confirm?!

shamsoo
06-05-2003, 01:31 PM
what should be the middle readings of tds and ph from which to start either lowering down or to increase the both values, I also have the same problem ??? thanks

limige
06-07-2003, 05:13 AM
i think most people try to breed in 60-120ppm and 6-7ph 82-84 degrees.
of course there are many who use ph in 5's and 7's and some that breed in straight RO and hard water but i think around 84 degrees, 80ppm and 6.5 ph is a good place to start.