PDA

View Full Version : Pellet foods

Fisheyes
05-30-2003, 04:48 PM
With all the contraversy over beef heart, Blk worms and almost every thing else we feed our freinds .Why then are we not feeding a fully balanced pellet food that is used for salmon or trout .
I stopped by the Trout hatchery today and asked about there food and they promised to get back to me with more information.
They did say that it was a good balance diet food and designed for optimum growth.

So why not the same for discus
Just think no goop no blood worms no Blk worms in the fridge.
Three or four times a day just drop a few pellets in and you do not have to worry about fowling the water .
Of course unless you over do it

Just a thought

Fisheyes :idea2:
:book:

stilllearnin
05-30-2003, 09:03 PM
If it'd work right that would be nice but most trout (catfish and bass) food thats sold around here and the stuff the state trout hatchery uses has more ash and more fiber in it then regular "cichlid pellets" or brine flakes - so I've avoided it.
If it works it'd be nice that stuff is cheap!

Fisheyes
05-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Well this does not look to bad to me . \

Crude protien-52%
Crude fiber min.14.00 %
crude fiber Max 3.00%
ASH Max 12.00%
sodium actual 1.0%
vit A min 10.000iu/kg
vit D min 24.00 iu/kg
vit E min 380 iu/kg
vit C min 200.mg/kg

Chris Galigar is selling salmon pelletts 3.00 a lb.along with his filters and this is the read out for his food

Come on you guys what do you think is this worth a try or not
Fisheyes :rolleyes:

brewmaster15
05-30-2003, 11:06 PM
blackworms are fed on commercial salmon foods.

tetra color bits ingedients...
min. crude protein.......47.5%
min. crude fat...............6.5%
Max crude fiber...........2.0%
Max moisture...............6.0%
min. phosphorus..........1.5%
min vit c.......................100mg/kg

nutritional....
fish meal
dehulled soybean mean
wheat germ meal
wheat flour
corn gluten
feeding oat meal
potatoe protein
shrimp meal
dried yeast
wheat glutin
monobasic calcium phosphate
l-lysine
mono-hydrochloride
lecithin
algae meal
soybean oil
ascorbic acid
inositol
niacin
A-tocopheraol-acetate
riboflavin-5 phosphate
l-ascorbyl-2 polyphosphate(stabilized vit c)
choline chloride
d-calcium pantothenate
thiamine mononitrate
pyridoxine hydrochloride vit a palmtate
menadion sodiumbisulfite complex
folic acid
cyanocobalamin
cholecalciferol
manganese sulfate
zinc sulfate
cobalt sulfate
colors... beta carotene, red 3,ethoxyquin and citric acid as preservatives..

This info is off the containers

so what does it mean... Nutritionally my discus eat better than I do! :)

-al

ps... I'd be concerned about the hatchery feeds clouding the water.

Carol_Roberts
05-30-2003, 11:11 PM
You could give it a try and report back on how your fish like it. Are the pellets small enough for discus to eat? do they foul the water/fall apart too fast?

I feed both tetra bits and azoo pellets.

Smokey
05-30-2003, 11:46 PM
Corn flake all day ; make a discus a dull fish.

Come on now, you are saying stale processed food is better than fresh food.

It's like eating greens all life long... a lot of poop , but no growth [ ask any female].....

For a commerical hatchery - fresh foods are just impractial, and costly.. spend some time in any government institude.

Fresh food causes thinking - independance - self reliance .. not a good controlable species.

ANY BODY FOR SOME " SOILENT GREEN".

maybe this is just the mountain boy in me, BUT I EAT MEAT.
MEAT eats greens.

'nuff said.

Smokey

discus_nw
05-31-2003, 01:49 AM
Trout pellets are used by some people raising discus. Trout require a high protein diet as do discus, probabally higher in fact. If your fish will eat them, they are probally better than any pet store purchased pellets.

Smokey
05-31-2003, 02:41 AM
Actually; I do agree with you one that point.

Not that I would use them. lol

Smokey

jrpatter
05-31-2003, 03:19 AM
my fish turned there noses up at the salmon chow that the guy with the filters sales. The wee ones ate it, but they will eat anything. but the adults 4 hours later had a nice little pile of pellets on the bottom of the tank. Someone asked about size, they are the same size as betta bits. Though with the vit content maybe it is a good additive for the beefheart mixes.

john

Fisheyes
05-31-2003, 10:26 AM
I tried the pelletts supplied buy chris and out of thirty discus they all ate it .I must say they do not rush to it like its blk worms but i think thats partly why .
Everytime you go near the tank they expect blk worms .
I think I will use the samples he sent and if i get some new young one I will put them on it as a full diet and record there progress.
Smokey if corn flake all day make a dull fish what does dogchow make your dog lol
I have to admitt I would not want to eat wienners every day either but along with some other food types their great.

Fisheyes :rolleyes:

Smokey
06-01-2003, 05:19 AM
Point ... counter point.
lol..

Smokey

Jason
06-08-2003, 09:23 PM
try to get the formulations made for tilapia, their requirements nutritionaly are closer to discus than salmon and trout.
I think there great and much better than the stuff the pet companies put out, some even have astaxathan and carophyl pink added.

the main problem with them is they are designed for "flow through" systems and are very fouling, they'll make the glass of your tanks get slimy.