PDA

View Full Version : New to plants

FrankLuvsDiscus
06-03-2003, 03:29 PM
;D I just got my first live plant weekend before this last weekend. Its doing great (its an Amazon Blade,sword) it has nice large leaves all are green except two there kinda brownish, i think they suffered from the replanting.

I got some Kent Freshwater essential for the plant to maintain its iron levels and help the whole process.

My tank keeps 8 discus though and i do a w/c every other day to occassionally every 2 days.....

Will this effect the plant's health in the sense that it can't absorb enough nitrates?

Will Kent Plant essential take care of this concern?
First time with live plant ,,,, help ! :-\

Its planted in a clay pot with gravel substrate (large size rocks) the plant and some driftwood is the only thing in the tank besides discus , cause my discus are still growing out and tank is bb for another 5 months atleast.

Anyhow could you all give me your expert advise on plants and all the good stuff to know about them.

Thanx ,
Franko ;D

ronrca
06-03-2003, 03:40 PM
I would recommend using a plant substrate such as fluorite, laterite, etc in the pot under 1" of gravel. Because of the daily water changes, the sword will draw the majority of its nutrients from its roots.

Just curious, what is your lighting level? Swords are very good plants as they do not require high light levels.

FrankLuvsDiscus
06-03-2003, 04:49 PM
;D thanks yeah , my lighting level is a Flo glo 40w 4ft bulb its suggested for use with plants that don't require intense lighting.... it also brings out the color of my discus more.

:D Im using Kent Freshwater Essential ......
Your suggesting a flourite? Could you Elaborate on that more...?

Thanks

ronrca
06-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Fluorite, laterite, etc are type of substrate with nutrients especially for plants. They are commonly used in planted tanks. When using potted plants and daily water changes, the plant needs to get a constant supply of nutrients somehow. Swords I believe are typically roots feeders anyways therefore by using a potted filled with flourite or laterite and only the top 1-2" gravel, the roots will utilize the nutrients in the substrate.

FrankLuvsDiscus
06-03-2003, 06:57 PM
aha! ;D i see , thanks for the info