PDA

View Full Version : Mad Discus

ajay
06-10-2003, 06:27 AM
Hi All , I am new here so would like to say hello

Hello

I have a problem with one of my discus that I have not come across in any of my searching , I have a mad fish - every now and again he will swim aound the tank at high speed bashing into things and then will just go and hide in the corner

any advice on this would be appreciated

ps. none of the other fish seem to suffer from this

cheers

Ajay

Fisheyes
06-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi Ajay and welcome aboard :wave:

You will recieve a lot of great info on Simply
There is a great bunch here that give out quality information . :book:

Then theres me I kind of like to lighten things up a little. :jester:

By the way you haven't been feeding your discus Canadian beef have you.LOL :spank:

I am not the expert here but I would start with Possable flukes or worms

Fisheyes :crazy:

Carol_Roberts
06-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Hi Ajay:
I don't have an answer for you. Every month or so I'll read a post here just like yours . . . to my knowledge no one has figured out the cause, if indeed there is a single cause . . .

ajay
06-11-2003, 04:42 AM
much obliged for the advice - I have done 3 or so large water changes and he seems to have calmed down , but I gues I will just have to wait and see ;)

thanks

Ajay

ajay
06-11-2003, 04:44 AM
thanks for the advice on Canadian beef - which is extermely difficult to get when you live on the southern tip of africa :)

discuskrib
09-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Darn it! i just had a fish die with these same symptoms. the other fish appear fine.

allan_mark76
09-28-2003, 03:06 AM
I was wondering if anybody figured out what causes this problem. I have the same problem with just one of my discus who has the same symptoms - dashes violently around the tank and bashes himself around the tank. Once he's done he slows down, breaths heavily and then calms down. He eats, but he does this 3 - 4 times a day. Any help would be much appreciated. BTW I've been using salt with no avail.

Thanks.

A- ???

Carol_Roberts
09-28-2003, 12:10 PM
I still don't know . . . .

allan_mark76
09-28-2003, 12:24 PM
Hi all I've searched through countless threads last night and have posted about this topic in other forums and there seems to be no cure. I was wondering if any breeders can enlighten us on this topic, CARY???? Or do I just place him in a zip lock bag. Any help or experiences would really help.

A- ???

McGilly
09-28-2003, 01:15 PM
What are you using to clean your tank sides with?

Do not use scotchbrite type pads. The fibers will get in the gills and swimming a thousand miles an hour will not dislodge it. eventually the fish will die from smashing into the tank wall one too many times.

or it may be flukes,

Sorry,
Jeff

allan_mark76
09-28-2003, 05:53 PM
McGilly I'm treating for flukes right now with a formalin bath. I sure hope this helps. If not I'm going to check out the gills and then after that treat with Marycyn for bacterial infectins. Mind you this will not be all at once but within normal steps.

Here's some topics in the past that I was able to dig up. There still isn't any explanations nor cures for this type of occurence. I'm still trying to figure this one out.

A-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=10677

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=10692

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=10645

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=4699

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1023;st art=0

JDS
09-28-2003, 06:32 PM
much obliged for the advice - I have done 3 or so large water changes and he seems to have calmed down , but I gues I will just have to wait and see ;)

thanks

Ajay
I believe something would be off with your water parameters. as you stated above after doing your water changes the symptoms seem to have stopped. Can you tell us what your water parameters were. I've read this before happening with other fish. butt for the life of me I cant remember right now I'll have to get back to you on this.

Miles
09-28-2003, 11:57 PM
ajay,
I am indeed searching for the same answer as you. When the fish goes MAD it is just amazing how fast they swim and CRASH into the side of the tank. It is sad indeed. I just bag em and freeze em. I have had one kill itself by crashing into the side of the tank full blast.
The water para. are right on. And the tank is spotless. That tank gets atleast 95% water change daily, and somedays even more when I forget to to close the drain valve on the tank.
I have no idea as yet what causes it or even how to treat it. Does anyone have any ideas as what might cause this and how to treat it?

Miles

discuskrib
09-29-2003, 05:22 PM
from the experience i had i think i can safely rule out shadows and light. my discus, before it died, did this every so often whether the lights were on or off in the room and nothing else would be in the room that could make any shadows move.

Dave

Miles
09-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Recieved a call from Cary Strong at Great Lake Discus:
And from what I gather it is Nitrogen Poisiong. From the sponge filter and the tank being dirty. He told me it builds up after time. To fix the problem: CELAN, CLEAN, CLEAN and CLEAN the tank and sponge filters and even the power filters. Rinse the sponge filter til the water comes out clear and wipe the tank. ANd do this all the time and it should cure the probelm. Atleast it did for me.
Funny how I change 90-95% of the water daily and wipe the tank every other day and rinse the sponge filter everyother day it bit me right in the arse. So now I wipe and rinse the sponge filter everytime.
Hope this can help someone else down the line.

THANKS CARY

Miles