PDA

View Full Version : Pec Finskin wierd-ideas?

Shari
06-11-2003, 04:47 PM
I have among others, three female PB's. Just noticed this week that two out of the three have a very red, almost raw looking skin line right where the pec fin meets the side of the body (where it's actually attached - looks like a little thin pencil line in deep red on both sides) No one in the tank seems to have a problem, these two seem fine otherwise - is it possible I'm just noticing this - could it be a maturity change or do we have a problem here? None of the other Discus, including the younger PB have this so I'm getting worried.

These were my first Discus - the old fashioned freckle faces.....

Opinions and/or meds suggestions if any? ???
Appreciated.

brewmaster15
06-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Hi Shari,
Can you post a picture?

-al

Shari
06-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Sure wish I could - not that advanced yet.
The one in particular looks like it could be a bit swollen, but not sure if it's just the color deceiving me or making it appear so.

To visualize - if you take a dark red pen and draw a line the length of the pec fin - then picture that on her beige/orange body. the red line right where the 'hairs' go into the body.
Like I said, never 'noticed' it before but yesterday sure popped me in the eye - and not one of my other 15 Discus has this.
Do we know of any ailments that could cause it? Maybe it's normal for her (the other 2yr old PB has it but not so deep/bright a red)....and again the younger PB doesn't (all bought same time/same place fyi)
She seems fine......watching them like a hawk though!
Let me know if you hear of anything like this. Thanks for the contact.

06-12-2003, 12:54 AM
Al....... ?????? Could it be Septicemia (sp) ???

06-12-2003, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure this will help ..... but here's a link.

look under "Septicemia"

http://www.fish-disease.com/diseases.htm

Beth

Nightowl
06-12-2003, 02:11 AM
Hello all, you can't rule out septicemia, but it my ex. this redness would appear in the tail also. Is there a strong current in this tank and has there been any quarreling among tankmates? This can also lead to redness in the pectoral fins. Well it has happened to my angelfish over the years so I'm guessing it could w/ discus too. If it is septicemia, this is something that I find maracyn 2 by mardel actually works on. How is your ph? Sometimes low ph (under 6.0) & high nitrates can trigger this sort of thing. Take care & good luck, J(Nightowl) :vanish:

Shari
06-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Beth and J - - thanks for the link and info - again the redness could be bloodvessels standing out and it just looks raw (sort of like the skin parted and left this red raw looking line where the fins attach).
Tonight I see in another tank my Purple German Cobalt has it on one side.

OK so now there's two fish, two tanks. PH 7.6 in both, 40-50% water change daily (every other day at the least) 0 nitrate/nitrite and ammonia. The tails look fine and no red streaks in the body either. Both seem ok, swim all the time and eat like pigs. Eyes are bright too.

Hmm- there is some fighting in the 120 gallon - the female Pigeon with the problem and my king male wild green who's been here for over a year with the domestics. I've got some Kanicyn(sp) but not enough for more than one treatment. I'll try to pick up the Maracyn2 tomorrow since local FS carries it.

Any more ideas keep em coming - two years never had this before. I'm gonna check in with Gabe or Jeff too since over the years they may have seen this.

rickk
06-17-2003, 05:36 AM
Hi Shari. I too have a PB, just one of a tank of 13 PB that have the very thing you have described. I noticed this 3 days ago. I have no idea what it is but I increased the water temp to 30c (86F) and added 2 tablespoons of salt to 10 g. today it is still there but not as red. it dosn't seem to bother the fish It behaves as normal and is eating well.

I do 50% W/c daily and I'm adding salt each day to make up for the W/c

These discus were imported from Malaysia. 3 days after they came out of QT and I brought them home and they got sick with a very heavey slime, at the same time 4 of these discus had the red lines on their pec fins, at the time I treated these fish with salt and an antibiotic, all recovered and the red line also disappered. This was 3 months ago.

At this momement while the red line is going and the fish is not stressed I will continue with the salt, but if it dosn't go within the next 5-6 days Or the fish becomes stressed I will move it to a hospital tank and also treat it with an antibiotic.

It would be good to compare notes on this so I would like to hear how you get on and I will do the same.

I would also like to hear from others who may have an opinion on this.

Thanks

Rick

rickk
06-18-2003, 02:16 AM
Just a further update, the Redness is getting less and less just with the salt treatment, Apparently this is a common thing with PB but nobody can tell me what it is

Rick

Shari
06-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Rick - thanks for all the info on what you went/going through.

I've been off line a few days so hope you get this as it's the 23rd already - but Gabe put me in touch with a fish vet as he hadn't seen it either - had a great chat with this guy, Brian, from fishfarmacy I think it was called...anyway he said to use a combo of either metro at normal 250 per 10 gal dosage along with Sulpha3 caps and run it's course for 10 days - or use Metro and Ampicillin which I had in the house, for 10 days - on the 3rd day all was cleared up on both the fish. Still using but switched to the Sulpha3 for economics. I had the little purple cobalt starting to get it on one side, it was gone overnight in her case. So, if salt/melifix etc. etc. doesn't work give a try!

Keep me posted too!
Shari

rickk
06-24-2003, 06:02 AM
Hi Shari.

Well the PB cleared the next day, just by using the salt. Did the fish vet give you any idea what it might be that is causing this.

thanks for the update

Regards

Rick