PDA

View Full Version : see no, hear no, speak no

dred
06-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Hi folks,

Visited Danny at Discus Fantasy last week. Brought home 9 violet reflections, 8 super angel diamonds, and a yearning for more tank space.

They are living together in my bedroom right now, so I couldn't resist the gargoyles <LOL>. Luckily, these guys are fearless and very social - I can see growth from their first week, and they happily eat from my hands.

So w/o further ado, here are a few pics. You can see that the VRs have a little color (they are slightly larger and show faint bars in the photos), and the blue on the fins on the SADs is just starting to develop.

Day 1: Caption ... "Think this guy feeds a lot?" "Dunno, but what's with the corny statue?"

dred
06-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Closer view of a couple SADs.

dred
06-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Oops remainder still too large to post, and yes the tank could use an external wipe-down <oops>. But, you didn't see that <smile>.

06-13-2003, 01:36 AM
Hey dred

How old are they?

You know if they ship north of the border? expect the same quality?

i love those little SAD's, but they're eyes look a touch on the big side for the body. top left SAD in the bottom pics looks a little long as well

im still learning here, feel free to correct me

allan_mark76
06-13-2003, 02:01 AM
NO the eyes are NOT big....geezus not this again....

A- :o

SLY
06-13-2003, 02:34 AM
keep us updated..u will need to feed them a lot dred :(

O
06-13-2003, 12:29 PM
I've noticed that blue diamonds and other blue solids juvies tend to have large eyes. Is it just me? Or is that a common trait? They seem to grow into them and look fine at 3" and larger.

To my knowledge this is not uncommon in nature, larger dog breeds tend to have ears or paws that are too big for their bodies at a younger age.
Is that true to discus as well?

O.

Jeff
06-13-2003, 02:16 PM
I noticed mine from Wayne looked a little big eyed until they were about 2-2.5". At that time they snaped out of it and were better sized. At 2.5" they were also round rather than long. You may have to give them more time and see what happens. How big are they now?

Wolf
06-14-2003, 10:12 AM
They may have lost a couple weeks where they weren't in optimal conditions or getting fed enough but I believe it can be 100% reversed with plenty of food and water pretty easily.

dred
06-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Hi folks,

I'm not sure about shipping to Canada - check discusfantasy.com for contact info.

I'm very new myself, but I did decide that should driving be a problem next time, I wouldn't have a problem letting Danny ship to me. He is exceptionally honest, and he keeps his fish well.

And, the SADs are very juvenile - about 1.5" - 2" or so, but I haven't put a ruler in the tank yet. The VRs are better than 2". And, it may be my imagination, but they are all eating voraciously and growing before my eyes. Regarding eye size, I think it relates to the shape of their still early juvenile heads - I really expect them to develop magnificantly. They are definately the least finicky eaters I'm keeping - they accept all of frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, tetra bits, ocean nutrition frozen and flake, live brine and cbws (yes, everything I've tried). We keep their bellies full. I'll take more pics when I get the camera back monday.