PDA

View Full Version : gimp eye, what to do?

ReeferKimberly
06-18-2003, 05:20 AM
hiya, well i have noticed (actually i notice a long time ago but didn't really give it a lot of thought) that one of the fry i got from cary has a sort of "gimp" eye. it is smaller than the other eye and is almost all black. i dought he can see out of it...
what should i do? he is a cary fish so i don't wanna say its genetic but he has had since i got him at less than 2 months old...so maybe it was just a cull fish that slipped by. he has good growth and color and is healthy and strong. just the bad eye...i would like to have him as future breeding stock but i don't know if it's a good idea and if the defect can be passed along. what do you guys think?

he is the one with the obviously smaller eye:
thanks!
kimberly :-*

ReeferKimberly
06-18-2003, 05:23 AM
oh and btw, i don't wanna send him to the big fish tank in the sky, i'm too broke to and i'm not ready yet ::)

06-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Sight do not affact breeding. They go by smell. That theroy is supported with one of my fish a few years back. An accident of Ph crash blinded both eyes of a male BD. He was able to find food and able to fertilized eggs without seeing them.
Jimmy

chirohorn
06-18-2003, 01:55 PM
Jimmy, I think she's worried about it being a genetic trait that might get passed on.

06-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Sorry, I missed that. Thanks Chirohorn. Since you've paid for the fish. I do not agree of culling the fish. They don't usually pass on to the next geneartion. The fact is no body can tell if you don't tell them. Fish always show you their good side anyway. It's too early to worry about it. Time will tell and then you can cull the fry if defected. You always have one or two odd ball in each brood of fry. It's not genetic.
Jimmy.

ronrca
06-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Kim,
I Agree with Jimmy! Let it grow out and then see what happens! Maybe the discus will out grow it! ;) I wouldnt worry about it!

Keep us updated though on the progress! ;)

ReeferKimberly
06-18-2003, 09:56 PM
thanks guys! i will just let him grow up and see what happens. these little monsters are growing every day!

Jean
06-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Hi Kimberly!

What kind are they? Goldens? ???

Good luck with them!

Jean ;D 8)

ReeferKimberly
06-18-2003, 11:53 PM
they are gold diamond x melon from cary, and the bds are from george garcia. thanks!

RandalB
06-19-2003, 12:19 AM
Kim,
Stuff like that happens sometimes. I have a Male BD that has a flat top eye from fighting with others. It could also be net damage. I've seen that too.

Don't worry, more than likely not genetic. Enjoy the fish.

RandalB