PDA

View Full Version : QT bacteria

tony1313
06-20-2003, 12:15 PM
:wave:Hi,
I'm just wondering if the filter bacteria in my quarantine tank will live without a bio load(the tank has no fish). I'm assuming not because they will have nothing to feed on. My question is how do I maintain the colony? Daily doses of ammonia? If so how much?

Curious,
Tony

ronrca
06-20-2003, 03:09 PM
The bacteria will only live for a couple of day, perhaps up to a week. Keep adding ammonia daily or every second day. I usually add around 5ppm of ammonia.

You can also add beef heart or other food but the bio may not maintain the size required to fully stock the tank.

Lowering the temp will also help as the metabolism of bacteria slows at cooler temps. I usually unplug the heater until the Qt is needed again.

CHughes
06-21-2003, 04:38 PM
Tony:
I add waste water from my populated tanks, when I do water changes, to the quantine tank...saves dumping it down the drain!

Just a thought you might want to consider.

Chris

06-21-2003, 04:45 PM
extra sponges in you regular tanks....then when you need the quarantine tank for new fish or illness just fill with water, plug the heater in and add the cycled sponge...

Carol_Roberts
06-21-2003, 05:06 PM
. . . . YES, BUT if you use pure ammonia in a Q-tank to keep filter alive you will have a clean, parasite and disease free filter for new arrivals.

06-21-2003, 05:35 PM
you're right carol....i still stand behind my suggestion though, and it's worked fine for me and many other people...
i think if my sponges were full of disease and parasites, keeping my q-tank cycled would be the least of my worries ;)
david

tony1313
06-21-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the tips. They all sound pretty easy(ammonia sounds easiest). I have plenty of ammonia, sponges and definately plenty of waste water!
:juggle:

Carol_Roberts
06-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Hi David:
I keep extra sponges in my tanks too. AS you said it gives us lots more flexability - especially when moving my own fish around. I do like as clean a tank/filter as possible for new arrivals.