PDA

View Full Version : Garage sale finds

mitch1313
06-21-2003, 10:04 PM
I just picked up two whisper air pumps today at a garage sale. They are in great condition and only cost me 5 bucks! I think garage sales are the best place to get aquarium stuff because people that have them are looking to get rid of things and they are willing to let you have them for practically nothing just to get them out of their house. I was wondering, has anybody else ever found something great at a garage sale? Just wanna compare how much you can save by buying used stuff for a fraction of the cost of buying it new.

April
06-21-2003, 10:23 PM
thats great. i used to go to alot of garage sales. but havent lately . sounds like a good idea if you have the time.
but i do go to second hand stores to find suitable things that tanks can go on as stands. for very low fees.

chinoz
06-22-2003, 12:49 AM
wow congrats on the pumps..that is a great price. ;D ;D

limige
06-22-2003, 04:15 AM
i imagine you could find deals on tanks but i haven't the time for garage sale'in

although i did get a pool liner at meijer on clearance today for $15 ;D

Liz_Streithorst
06-22-2003, 11:52 AM
I don't do garage sales (don't have the patience to spend the time and not find anything). I did just get a good deal I think on an air pump on e-bay. Its a Medio 40 watt. I paid $35.00. I've got 6 things hooked up to it so far and have power to spare. Need to drill a hole in the wall to get to the 3 tanks and water storage on the other side on the other side and hook them up too.

Liz

McGilly
06-22-2003, 12:33 PM
8)

mitch1313
06-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Wow that is a great find! wish i could find something like that.

Jeff
06-22-2003, 04:52 PM
You never know what will turn up.

richgrenfell
06-22-2003, 05:05 PM
I have found lots of great deals on entire tank setups at garage sales. The vast majority of the people that enter this hobby, usually give up after a year or so. The are lotsa tanks taking up room in people garages! I just got a 20gallon extra tall for nothing this afternoon! A buddy of mine got it for his kid. The kid lost interest and he found himself doing the maintainance. So he called me and said come and get it! i'm going to use it as an angel spawning tank once i get a pair out of the blacks i just picked up. Anyone who knows me knows who to call when it comes to tanks and equipment. My wife goes tag saleing every saturday. Anytime she comes across something, she hops right on the cell phone!

Rich

roclement
06-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Hello all,

I posted this before...I gotta 100g acrylic tank from tenecor, with stand hood, ligths, wet-dry, powerheads, skimmer, and UV sterilizer for $75!!!

I still have the receipt to this day! Found at a consingment shop!!!

Sales are the best!

Rodrigo

BlueTurquoise
06-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Yeah? $5! wow!

I surf the www.tradingpost.com.au pages for my bargains. It's like a box of chocalates... ;D

example: 4ft x 2ft x 2ft with stand, light and heater, unused $150 :o

;D

06-23-2003, 08:53 AM
I've picked up a lot of equipments from garage sale over the years. I routinely jog early in the morning and visiting garage sale around the neighbourhood on my weekend run. I don't carry much money with me when I jog, just enough for a coffee and a donut. I usually empty all my pocket changes before I make an offer. They usually takes every pennies I have with me. I've picked up a little giant pump for $5.00, a meat hand grinder for a few dollars, numerous power tools, 2 Coleman 3 gal. water cooler for $1.00 to transport fish. At least 10 aquariums from 5 gal to 40 gal under $10. Hundred of plastic plants. driftwoods, air pumps. A rare find a $150 gal for $10.00 cause the mover cannot fit that tank into the living room of a small townhouse and has been sitting and occupying half of his garage for a few months. He had 4 weightlifters move it down to my basement and thank me for accepting his garbage.
Jimmy.

richgrenfell
06-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Accepting his garbage! LOL!! Don't ya just love it when they think you are doing them a favor!!??

Rich

gillyweed
06-23-2003, 11:17 AM
It's just someone's "junks" are someone else treasures!!!

Great bargain!!! :D

Too bad that I wasn't the one to get them!!! >:(

GW

06-23-2003, 12:51 PM
It was just my lucky day. I was just looking at a piece of driftwood for 50 cents and I never saw the tank inside the garage. When he asked if I had lot of tanks. I said just a few. Then he showed me the tank and ask for $150. I kept saying "I don't know". I can't use it. I can't move it. I have no room. I don't have fish big enough for it. I only keep guppies. I have no money. Somehow he could provide me with an answer for every "I don't know" I gave him. His son picked up the cell phone and call his weightlifter friends with a truck and moved it and postitioned the tank in my basement within an hour. some of them stayed for a couple of hours asking questions for my fish and wish they had the tank instead of me. ;D ;D That's my best show tank. It was custom made 42" tall and 67" long. sits on a free stand 24" high.
Jimmy.

limige
06-24-2003, 06:29 AM
lol, indead it was your lucky day! i get smaller tanks from the garbage, so far a 30 gal hex, 20 gal breeder, and a 40 gal high.

my sis just called last weekend, her neighbor is garage selling two 50 gallon tanks but one is $75 with wooden stand and the other is 35 with a metal stand, i only need the tanks and the tanks are like $60 new, so i'm not saving alot by the time i make the 3 hour drive to get them :-\ i'm gonna call and offer less, maybe i'll get lucky!

Fisheyes
06-24-2003, 03:52 PM
:hat::idea: WHAT A SMOOTHIE JIMMYL

:crazy: Fisheyes

Serpae
06-24-2003, 08:52 PM
So where is the next garage sale!!!!!!!!

Jean
06-24-2003, 10:45 PM
I dunno, but I think I may start looking! :o

Jean ;D 8)

tedd47
06-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I am a convicted yard saler but I usually don't just drive around and look, I look in the paper and pick out the ones that I want to go to . I found my best deal of my life this past weekend. Here's how it went:

Saw an add in the paper for a yard sale, everything for sale and the last word was the clincher "aquariums". I got down there about 9:00 am, almost didn't go because I didn't really have the money to spend. The house was in one of the worst parts of town, and it was a shotgun house with a caved in porch. Anyway, the lady that was having the sale had sold the house and wanted to get rid of everything, her uncle was a fish breeder and had passed away about a year before. As I went in there were 3 boxes of books and magazines (about 15 years worth of TFH and FAMA) along with a Degen and a Wattley discus book. The last two rooms were completely filled with aquariums and supplies, many of the items were still in the boxes with price tags. I dealt around with her and ended up splitting it with a friend for 340 bucks. There ended up being enough stuff to fill up a 12 foot trailer, full size blazer and the trunk and back seat of my car. Total we got about 50 barely used sponge filters, 2 29 gallon tanks, 15, 20 longs, 4, 20 highs, 8, 5 gallons, 5, 2x2 foot tanks, about 40 air pumps, many of them in the box, 30 or so power heads, 20 or so power filters and 4 canister filters. Along with enough other junk I will use for years to come. All of the tanks came with stands and just need some sanding and paint.
As a side note I was looking through the Wattley discus book and a news paper clipping fell out, it was a picture of the man who owned the tanks after winning a fish show with an angel fish. I recognized him as one of the men who I used to talk to about fish back when I was a teenager and working in the pet shop. I'm glad I was able to get everything though because the niece told me that if she hadn't sold everything she was going to chuck it all out the next day. Well that's my story, keep sale huntin'. Ted

Serpae
06-25-2003, 06:38 PM
What a great story Ted, bet some of those books are collectables................. :)