PDA

View Full Version : My new baby BD

yippy
06-23-2003, 06:20 PM
hi guys, just got a new little juvenileblue diamond yesterday, The pics arent real good, im not the best with a camera. I'll try and get some better ones.
Kerry

yippy
06-23-2003, 06:24 PM
One more,
Kerry

SnowCichlid
06-24-2003, 12:43 PM
:D congrats

yippy
06-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks!!! hes such a cutie.
kerry

chinoz
06-24-2003, 08:09 PM
niceeeeeeeeee ;D

fcdiscus
06-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Very big eyes. Those fish will probably never attain full size. I do not mean to be negative- if you are happy that is fine, but those eyes are way too big, and the fish is stunted. Who did you buy them from? Frank :-\

Serpae
06-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Looks Happy ;D

NoBarDiscus
06-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Dont listen to Frank as long as you're happy thats all that matters. Look at this baby fish, big eyes and its sticking out with diagonal bar on her eyes; but I love her!

NoBarDiscus
06-25-2003, 12:47 AM
Here she is after 3 years. Her diagonal stripe is still there but barely noticeable. I love her even more now. She produces me spawns that pays for all the food (CBW) that I needed.

Serpae
06-25-2003, 12:54 AM
The ugly duckling thing heh, even though she was never ugly to the beholder. ;D

Jeff
06-25-2003, 01:45 AM
Well NoBarDiscus you can say don't listen to Frank, but I would. He is not being negative or trying to cause trouble. He is just stating his opinion and what I also believe to be true. Forget about where it came from. Frank is pointing out to other members who may not know what the flaws are in regards to this discus. I do also agree with you as long as Yippy is happy that is the most important thing. But for this forum to help others understand what is an "ideal discus" vs. a “less than ideal discus" it takes folks like Frank and the Big C who continuously put themselves and their reps on the line to point out what is not so obvious to others for the greater benefit of all the forum members. Frank is a well-respected breeder and his opinion is of relevance here. I appreciate and thank these guys for continuing to try to educate the forum members and raise the bar of discus excellence here in the US. There is no disrespect intended towards you either NoBarDiscus. ;D

NoBarDiscus
06-25-2003, 03:25 AM
When I say "dont listen to frank" its just a figure of speech. Not to take it literally. Hope that clears that up.

CARY_GLdiscus
06-25-2003, 08:20 AM
Looks like a SABDFROMDF to Me 8)

brewmaster15
06-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Hi Yippy,
I agree with Frank, and Jeff here. Theres nothing wrong with that discus if you are happy with it, and as a pet in your care it "may" turn out very nicely.

But speaking from experience ... generally Eyes that large when the fish is so young is a sign that the fish may have been runted by crowded conditions, lack of adequate food, or possible disease run-ins. Thats not to say that this fish can't turn around..its just to point out that when members here pick fish... you can never know its history, but eye size to body ratio is an indication that should not be overlooked. Its a generally accepted standard of quality in discus.

No Bar... your fish turned out nice. but the reasons for the eyes being larger in both of this fish are not necessarily the same....nor was the age that they they were. Its perfectly fine to show exceptions... you have done wonders with that fish, but its not fair to the novices out there to mislead on what is an acceptible fish. IMO...the breeder/seller here took advantage of Yippy and should sell better quality. That said , we don't know how much the fish in question was sold for?

Yippy, I hope you don't take this post the wrong way. My criticisms here aren't directed at you, but at the seller.

take care,
al

Jeff
06-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Sorry NoBarDiscus I misunderstood what you were saying. ::)

NoBarDiscus
06-25-2003, 01:33 PM
No problem Jeff. BTW, I'm still waiting for some Leopards and some Angel Blue Diamond. Let us know when its going to be available.

Jeff
06-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Will do. ;)

Serpae
06-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Hey Kerry, did you name the little fella...............fellaress. :bounce: :bounce2:

yippy
06-26-2003, 01:42 AM
Hi guys, im not offended - im not a serious discus breeder, but i still like him. My other BD has grown nice so as long as hes healthy it doesnt matter. If i was a serious breeder i probably would have been a bit more fussy, but as i said im not worried about perfection. Discus arent even my favourite fish anyway, i love bettas and i also have a red devil that gives me more enjoyment than any of them. I know these forums are here for advice and opinions, so i dont want any arguments!!!!!! i'll tell you a story one day that did really upset from another fish forum, (nothing to do with discus but Bettas) that i got very upset about - they were very mean and even the moderators jumped in and told them all off. This thread to me isnt being nasty, its opinions.
Kerry :)

Kerry

yippy
06-26-2003, 01:47 AM
I forgot to mention - the other BD's in the same batch were more expensive but this one i got $40 cheaper. As i said, if i was breeding them, i would have gone for better quality. God, i paid 2 dollars for a one-eyed betta because i felt sorry for him - then it cost me $50 for a heater and tank. Ive got bettas everywhere and if i hadnt bought him he probly would have died a miserable death with one eye - i call him "Pretty"!!!!
Kerry

yippy
06-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Guys, i know my discus are champions but this is my first attempt at them - i feel confident i am looking after them properly - im not into winning prizes for best looking fish but heres some before and after pics of one of my very first discus, which i still have and still growing nicely - even though theyre not perfect.
This is one of my first - he wouldnt eat for 2 weeks when i got him, ask Block head ned, hes been though all this with me - i really thought he was gonna die and i almost gave up on all of them.
Kerry

yippy
06-26-2003, 09:09 AM
This is him now - still not perfect but looking good for me.
kerry

yippy
06-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Kerry

yippy
06-26-2003, 09:18 AM
And this is my other BD who was nearly exactly the same as the one with the big eyes when he was young - not a good photo - a bit of glare on it - sorry.
Kerry

yippy
06-26-2003, 09:31 AM
may not be perfect specimens but where i live you can pay at least $500 for a good breeding pair and im just not into that side of it. and to be honest i dont think ive done too bad - only ever lost one discus and i think i scared him to death - i switched the light on too early one morningand he banged his hed and dropped. heres one of my favourite bettas - hes a double crown tail - i have 5 more bettas but i wont bore you with them all.
Kerry :)

yippy
06-26-2003, 09:33 AM
sorry in that other reply i put 'i know they are chamions" i meant to say "not champions"
kerry

yippy
06-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Surpae, my other half named him smokey! his best mate is nickname smokey I might change it to "inferior"! Only kidding - i defy anyone to have a better looking red devil than me anyway - heres my Brutus!
Kerry

PS and our maps are the best!

yippy
06-26-2003, 09:56 AM
One more brutie! I have to go and make some more maps now.
Kerry

yippy
06-26-2003, 09:56 AM
brutie

Jeff
06-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Hey Kerry this is a hobby and is ment for having fun. As long as you enjoy it keep doing it. One eye or two they can still be a lot of fun. ;)

Serpae
06-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Hey there Kerry, they are some really good shot's, love the Devils home in the Grecian setup, quite fitting, lol. ;D Smokey sounds cool. Smokey Blu.

yippy
06-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks jeff, in my case - its become an out of control hobby - i have tanks in every room, even our friends reckon they need a snorkel to visit us!
But its still fun and critiicsm can be a good thing, another thing learnt, if someone decides to become a serious discus breeder they know what to look for.
Kerry :D

Serpae
06-26-2003, 10:55 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KERRY............. :balloon: :bounce: :drummer: :balloon: :fish: :guitarist: :balloon: :juggle: :singer: :balloon:

yippy
06-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks serpae - check out the latest map!
Kerry

brewmaster15
06-26-2003, 11:51 AM
Definetly happy Birthday Kerry!

and thank you for about the eye size comments! :)

-al

yippy
06-26-2003, 07:00 PM
No worries Al, Hes still a cute little guy IMO. I do know what to look for in a perfect dicsus, but im not willing to spend the money as mine are more for prettiness in the tank than showing or breeding.
Kerry

yippy
06-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Hi Serpae, The plants in that red devil tank dont last long! Theyre plastic plants and i have them weighed down with a big rock - i stuck them on with aquarium silicone. I took that photo after a water change, Usually after two days theyre flying round the tank in the current and next wtaer change i take them out, put them all back together and go through the same process every week. i know its a waste of time putting back together but it keeps Brutus occupied! I also fill the bowl with gravel from the bottom of the tank and he gets in there and spits it all back out again, hes such a fun fish to keep.
Kerry

Serpae
06-26-2003, 09:29 PM
lol. I thought the tank looked a little to............... um................... well................. organised for a Red Devil, lol. Now I know why, hehehehehehe. :funny:

At least you stop him from getting bored. He dosn't remember that he just rippped that plant up, lmao :smash: :wasntme:

yippy
06-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Serpae, he is the most entertaining fish to keep - hes bitten me, completely demolished a brand new filter (had to buy a big heavy duty - hes tried attacking it but cant damage it), but hes only defending his territory - i took that bowl out for a day a while back and he went berserk, spitting gravel everywhere and as soon as i put it back in he hovered over the top of it guarding it. Hes in love with a bowl!!!! :love:
he is also the so intelligent its scary - he knows the difference between brands of pellets, if i hold the one up to the tank real close that he doesnt like he goes on a rampage, if i hold up the brand he does like, hes back to normal. have a look at this site
www.reddevilfish.co.uk - you'll find it interesting. I havent been able to find any other site with info on the more aggro fish!
Kerry

Serpae
06-27-2003, 12:04 AM
LMAO...............looked at all that vid footage, way cool, cracked me up just as much as the voting race, hehehehe. :funny:

Reminded me of a Rivulatus that we had down at the shop, it hated me. He was in an 8ft tank, and would chase me from one end of the tank to the other following me around the shop when he could see me. When I got up close to the tank he would ram the glass. :banghead: :banghead:

yippy
06-27-2003, 12:29 AM
I know, I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brutus does the same thing to me and hubby here at home.
Kerry ;D