PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Kansas City folks...

lovdiscus
06-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Ok..there must be some Discus fanatics in Kansas City..Where are you guys??
I want some more Discus - preferably some Leopards.....but I cannot afford the shipping costs. You pay more for shipping than for the fish....lol.
I have my own hatchery, but only Blues and Turks and browns now.
I don't need any more of those.
I also breed angels and other fish.
In the huge vicinity of KC...there must be a breeder there somewhere besides me....???
Where are u hiding???......lol.
Thanks!
Donna

Discus_KC
06-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Donna,

I'm a fellow Discusholic in K.C. Right now I'm in Iraq and have no fish. Why don't you give Willie from Sunflower Discus a call. I've seen his fish in person and the quality is outstanding. Brian (Jeep) has fish as well but not sure he has leopards.

Once I get back, we will have to have a KC discus meeting !!!!!!!

Jack

lovdiscus
06-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Hi Jack!
How is the situation in Iraq? I hope you are staying safe.
How do I contact Willie? What is his email or web site address? Is it www.sunflowerdiscus.com? I will try that.
Yes..when you return we should organize a meeting.
That would be nice to meet others who share my hobby.
Donna

Discus_KC
06-24-2003, 02:28 PM
Donna,

Here you go !!!!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/sunflowerdiscus

His e-mail wegoh@planetkc.com

Phone # (913) 402-0958

Still waiting on word of coming home. My gut instinct tells me we aren't leaving anytime soon. I will let you know when we hear.

Jack

lovdiscus
06-24-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks Jack...hope you come home soon.
I forgot to tell you to check out my site and let me know what u think-
www.djshatchery.com
Donna

April
06-24-2003, 07:18 PM
heh lovdiscus..when jack does come back.he will be getting fish in..either drive to get them or sent....right jack? he has a habit of driving all over the country to retrieve fish.
maybe you guys can work something out for shipping togeatehr or whatever. right jack?
then....jack will be the discus king of kc. ;D and a fancy fishroom to go with it.
jack.try a temper tantrum....kicking and screaming on your back . that might help them to send you home a tad quicker. scream...i want my fish!!!! LOL.

Darren
06-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Hey all!

I am a Kansas Citian! Those East/West Coasters don't have a clue what we've got going on here in K.C.!!! Let's keep that our secret ;) We don't want them infiltration our turf :) :)

Count me in on that meeting!!!

Jack,

Heard a lot of great things about you! Stay safe and look forward to meeting you sometime when you get back!

Darren

lovdiscus
06-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Welcome Darren....wow that makes 3 so far for our meeting when jack returns....lol...what a large group.
Hey, it is a start!!
I am looking forward to meeting you both.
Take care!
Donna

cartoon
06-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi Donna,
I'm Peggy (cartoon) who designed and illustrated the discus anatomy print (see the "buy sell trade" section on this forum). I've bought discus from Willie at Sunflower and he has very nice fish! Not the variety you are wanting however, but worth checking out. Like you, I have Blues and Turks mostly and am not breeding right now. I also have angels, in fact, the very next poster I illustrate will be an angelfish poster! My angels are prolific breeders and I would like to get a pair of blue blushers. Do you have any of those???Glad you are in KC!!! ;D Count me in on the meeting. Brian(jeep) is a very good friend of mine and I bet he would be interested in meeting, too. He has blue pandas (Wattley). Check out the discus anatomy poster when you get a chance. By the way, I'm in Lee's Summit.

Discus_KC
06-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Donna,

I wish I could say the situation is improving but there are many obstacles to overcome. This will be a place the military will be for several years. I will be home between July and Novermber !!!!! I wish I could give everyone a date, especially Deb and the kids !!!!!!

You don't need me there to have a meeting !!!! I would like to be there when it happens though.

I will check out your website !!!!!!!!

April,

Don't give away all my fantasies (Discus King of KC) !!!!!!! Yeah right !!!!!!

I will be travelling for fish sometime after I get back. You know me though. I have all those tanks to clean, drill and setup. Then the RO setup, the new linear air pump, new plumbing, new 1500 water storage tank. I will have a fishroom, but nothing to write home about.

Tantrums don't work. They just give you something else to do. Ha ha !!!

Darren,

You may need a second opinion on the good stuff you heard !!!!!!!! LOL i do look forward to meeting you.

Peggy,

Can you save one of those posters back for me?

Jack

There are 4 more people I can think of that have discus in KC too.

jeep
06-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Hi all, Peggy just told me about this thread. Sorry, haven't had much time for computer stuff recently.

A meeting sounds great! Hopefully we can do it while the weather is nice. Maybe Jack can ask for a hardship leave due to discus withdraw... ;D

Jack, those Pandas just may be ready when you get back. They're spawning as I type for the first time in about 6 weeks. I know the male is fertile but I have to find a way to stop the female from eating the free-swimmers.

Donna, maybe we can get some KC'rs to go in on an order and split shipping. I think we all live close enough... I don't have any breeding leopards but I'll hopefully have a bunch of little Pandas that will be needing homes in the near future.

Brian

lovdiscus
06-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi Peggy and Brian!
Great......the group is growing!! Maybe we can actually set up a discus club of KC!!
I would be willing to go in and split shipping costs of some new Discus with others - great idea.
I want to get eventually all the species....lol.
I love them all!!
Peggy...I do angels as well....did you see my web site and my fish?
I have a ton of free swimming dd black super veils now...just free swam a couple days ago but no blue blushers....I had some from a friend and sold them all.
I am now looking for some good koi also with alot of orange color.
I also have a very large batch of a Red turk male and blue diamond female...that have just attached.
Their pics are on my site as well.
Peggy - I am also an artist...I would like to see some better "fish " shirts out there......I cannot find any I like.
I thought of designing some...maybe you and I can work on that idea.
Donna

cartoon
06-25-2003, 06:46 PM
Howdy Ya'll!!!!
First of all, Jack, we have commandeered a poster for you ever since you left for Iraq, so it will be waiting for your return! And it is our pleasure to give it to you as a gift since you have made so many personal sacrifices for US! We await your return with open arms and open aquariums!

Donna, Cool!
No I have not seen your website, send me the address. I have black marble angels and 2 male yellow koy boy's. Need a female koy, eventually, but for now I want to get some blue blushers. I look forward to meeting you!

I think we can have a really fun group of folks here in KC. Let's try to set something up. Brian and I are really good cooks...He does the Bar-B-Q, I do the Cajun food (I grew up in Louisiana) and we have alot of great stories to tell. I bet Jack will have some awesome stories upon his return from Iraq. Let's make something happen!!!
>)))*< Hugs and Fishes, Peggy >*(((<

lovdiscus
06-25-2003, 10:31 PM
A barbeque sounds great! It would be fun to meet everyone....our spouses might be bored silly...I know mine is not a fish guy....he is a police officer and more into weapons stuff.
But sounds fun to me.
my site is www.djshatchery.com
take care and let me know when and where!
Donna

rickmiles
06-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Hi discus lovers,

I now live here in Kansas City, Mo (moved from Castro Valley, ca) a few blocks from 29 and Barry Rd (The Lakes Apartments) Please include me in you soon to be meetings, I’m an old time discus breeder and keeper. I bred my first Wild Discus in the 60’s I don’t have any Discus now but hopefully I’ll be moving in about a year to a house and I’ll start breeding and keeping again, God willing.

God willing.
See Yea

Rick

jeep
06-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Rick, you're more than welcome to chat with us all. You live almost right across the street from Jack and I'm sure he'd welcome input on his fishroom.

Brian

Discus_KC
06-27-2003, 05:05 AM
Rick,

Welcome to KC !!!!!!!! You are just a few minutes from where I'm at. I live in the Coves and you are welcome to visit. Heck, we can both visit the house. I haven't seen it since April !!!!!!! I'm pretty used to my tent right now and will take some time to acclimate to home !!!!!!!! Just like the fish !!!!!!!!

Brian,

I will be soliciting feedback on the fishroom from everyone, you included. A little money and everyones knowledge will make it come together.

One of my dreams is to fill all those tanks !!!!!!!!!!

Jack

lovdiscus
06-27-2003, 07:47 AM
Welcme Rick....of course you can be included!
Hey all....What do you think of me starting a yahoo group page of KC Discus Keepers...we can just use that to send messages and photos....etc....
I can moderate it....no problem.
Let me know and I will get it going!
Donna

Discus_KC
06-27-2003, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a great idea !!!!!!! Not sure I can access it from here but get it started and I will check it out as soon as I get back.

I think we have the makings of a good group !!!!!!!

Jack

April
06-27-2003, 10:41 AM
just dont take
Jack off into some little yahoo corner instead of simply.
:shocked: ::) :P
heh jack did you see jasons sale in the buy and sell section?
you need one of those? why you may just have enough pumps for one of them....i dont. or do you have one?
too bad you cant build that room in your mind and wave a majic wand and itd be all done.

jeep
06-27-2003, 11:04 AM
A message to the locals. I'm off to the Lenexa BBQ contest through today and tomorrow. Everyone is welcome to stop by our stand for some good BBQ and some beer.

We're High Plains BBQ located facing the lake near the bathrooms. Don't be offended if I'm not a great host. I have a lot of drinking to do yet today ;D

Jack - I do plumbing all the time so I'm sure I can at least help out.

Donna, the Yahoo thing sounds great!

Wish us luck! The winner takes over 5 grand this year...

Brian

Discus_KC
06-27-2003, 11:10 AM
April,

I won't leave ya !!!!!!! I have no fish !!!!!!!! LOL Those pics of empty tanks won't keep anyones attention !!!!!!!!!!!

Iraqi Jack

Discus_KC
06-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Brian,

Best of luck !!!!! I just wish i was there to taste it !!!!! LOL We'll have our own taste test one day !!!!!!! I love BBQ !!!!!!!

I will be doing a whole new fish room when I get back. I have big dreams !!!!!!! Or fish fantasies !!!!!

April,

Got 2 of those pumps !!!!!!!!!!! Jason is the best !!!!!!!!!

Iraqi Jack

kirkp
06-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Hello to all those in KC. Actually, I'm not in KC but in Council Bluffs, IA but if the timing was right, I'd be willing to drive down to meet some discusnuts. Email me if you set something up and I'll see how it works.
Kirk (kirkp)

April
06-27-2003, 08:09 PM
cool Jack!! i meant you had enough tanks not pumps.
i love helping everyone spend their money. lol.
you will have fish jack for those fancy new tanks and new pumps. Jack....everyone should send you a cardboard fish and then you can sit on your times off and make a fish gallery of pics. im sure it will be impressive. lol.

Discus_KC
06-28-2003, 03:19 AM
April,

Isn't that what friends are for? To have you help me spend money. Keep looking out for me !!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Cardboard cutouts, that is the best !!!!!!!! LOL They will be giving me a drug test once they start arriving !!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

April
06-28-2003, 03:34 AM
well we can send you dresses and jewelry also like colonel klinger.....and the fish cutouts. and maybe you will be home sooner than you thought!! LOL.
ok...i will keep helping you to spend your money. better yours than mine. lol.

Discus_KC
06-28-2003, 04:14 AM
April,

Take the clothing to the ACA!!!!!! Few beers into some and they will model it for you !!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, start looking for solenoid valves, timers, !!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm good on tanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

lovdiscus
06-28-2003, 06:51 AM
Hi...
Ok....I did it!! The group is set up so please go and join..
here is the address-
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kansascitydiscus/
Hope to meet with you all soon.
Donna

Discus_KC
06-28-2003, 07:35 AM
Donna,

Great Job !!!!!!!!

The web filter got me so I can't view it !!!!!!!!! I will view it as soon as I get home !!!!!!!!!

Jack

Jason
06-28-2003, 12:40 PM
hey I wanna join too!

Discus_KC
06-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Jason,

You are my brother so you are family !!!!!!! LOL

Looking forward to those air pumps. I guess I better tell the wife. She will love the savings on the electric bill.

I leave and it was $400 a month !!!!!!!!! Now she tells me she is paying $65-$70. So my little hobby cost a few bucks a month !!!!!!!!!

Jack

Jason
06-28-2003, 03:22 PM
sweet,

guess your buying the booze when I visit :P

April
06-28-2003, 09:45 PM
If Jason visits.....put the guy to work setting those pumps up and the pipes etc etc etc. and make sure he lifts all the heavy tanks. hes quite capable of lifting 300 gallon tanks you know.....lol.
and dont let him come without fishies in his hand either. :o

Discus_KC
06-28-2003, 10:27 PM
April,

If he wants to visit and help me, I'll buy the beer. Heck, I'll buy the ticket too !!!!!!!!!!

I know he can lift a tank. With all of mine, he could get a great workout !!!!!!!!!! LOL

Jack

lovdiscus
06-29-2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks Jack...
Hope u get home soon.
Donna

Darren
06-30-2003, 08:55 AM
I joined! Thanks Donna!

Darren

kirkp
06-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Here I thought that with all the excitement this topic was generating that I would probably be one of the last to sign up. Imagine my suprise when I find that I'm the second person to sign up (second only to the person who so graciously created the site for us. Thanks Donna). Guess us hicks up here in Iowa have nothing better to do with our time HAHAHAHA Oh well, gave me a chance to trade emails with Donna.

See you all there.

Kirk

lovdiscus
07-01-2003, 07:43 AM
Hi Kirk!
yes....the list is growing though! I am glad to see the response. I have been sooooo busy....up to my elbows in tank water...lol.
I have a new spawn of angels, a new spawn of discus, and some dempsey (hundreds) fry, and now another pair of angels spawned...geez....is it somthing in the air? lol.
I am glad.....but having a hard time keeping up with the daily w/c's and feedings.....
oh...I have about 20 young discus growing out....about dime size now....half red turk and half blue diamond../I wil give you all a great deal if anyone here wants them....
I need more tank space....lol.
I will post it on our new group page....so check messages there.....
Donna

Discus_KC
07-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Donna,

Sounds like good things are happening !!!!!! We will have to tour all the KC members homes !!!!!!! That will give us something to do !!!!!!!

I can't wait to start working on my fishroom, I don't want to feel left out !!!!! LOL

Jack

lovdiscus
07-02-2003, 07:36 PM
Jack.....things were on the right track...but lately not..for me anyway. I sent a post on the group page...but no you cant join....and see the messages.
Basically it says that I am sorry but I must sell all my Discus and stick to one type of fish...and I am choosing the angels as they are the easiest to care for and easiest to move.
My reasons for this is that 1..I am worn out....my hatchery is 95 degrees plus with no a/c in sight and I am moving it back home.
2....my dad's health is failing and they need me around more to help.
My big dreams of running a hatchery are going down the toilet fast....lol.
Maybe some day when things are better.....I will return.
I am going to sell all my Discus.
I am sorry....but Jack. and everyone else....keep the group going....it seems to be a great hit.....I will stay a member just to visit and share my knowledge.....if anyone needs any....lol.
Take care over there!
Donna

jeep
07-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Donna,

That's a really quick decision. Do yourself a favor and think it over for awhile.

I really wish I had the money and the space. If your decision is final, let me know if you part them out. I'm most definately interested. I'm sure between all of us in KC we can help you out, especially if you decide to get back into it.

Regardless, you will always be a member of the Greater Kansas City Discus Society ;)

Brian

lovdiscus
07-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks Brian...
It really wasnt a quick decision..I have been stressing for some time now.....no one else can seem to help out at the shop....they dont know how to care for Discus...??
So simple really.....but they are afraid to try...
Brian....I will definately let you know if I part them out....I would like to see them go to Discus people and not to the store.....(my boss wants me to sell them in the shop) But I don't do Discus for the money....I love them all.....and want them to get good homes with people that understand them and their value.
Most customers that come in just want it because it's pretty and end up killing them.
I have had the biggest ones for over 2 years now and am somewhat attached to them...lol. My kids.
I have been contemplating this for awhile but I just hated to do it......but I think it is time to reduce the workload on myself.
Thanks
Donna

Mike_T
08-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Any of you keep natives, or know anyone out in Kansas who does? I'm dying to get my hands on the kansas strain of longear sunfish. They're gorgeous. Not sure what the rules are on collecting native species & shipping them, however. There's a guy in my fish club here in cincy who has a handful, and their entire body is crimson red with blue stripes. any help would be appreciated!!

thanks

-mike T

sunflowerdiscus
10-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Greetings,
Sorry for the late response. I don't check every Post in the forum and not frequently.

Many thanks to Jack & Peggy. I am humbled by the kind complements. I have many more varieties of discus that I will be breeding such as Crystal Gold, LSS and Leopards to name a few.

My fellow hobbyists are most welcome to visit me. Please call for an appointment.

http://www.geocities.com/sunflowerdiscus/

Willie

Discus_KC
10-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Willie,

Better late than never !!!!!! But it's worth the wait for anyone who goes to see your fish !!!!

I heard you got some BD's in the works !!!!!! Got any pics ??????

Jack

sunflowerdiscus
10-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Jack,
Here are your baby BDs.

sunflowerdiscus
10-07-2003, 01:25 PM
There will be more when you come back.

jeep
10-07-2003, 01:33 PM
Hi Willie, glad to see you found this thread.

Peggy told me you have a very nice set-up. Hope I can make it by some day.

Will you be at the auction next week?

Brian

sunflowerdiscus
10-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Brian,
Although I have been to a couple previously, I'm indecisive because of the Chiefs game on Sunday and perhaps cleaning my discus tanks, lawn work, etc.... ???

Willie

jeep
10-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Well, I missed the auction. I opted to stay home and watch a nail biting Chiefs game, and by the timt the game was over, the auction was just about over as well.

I was looking forward to meeting everyone who attended but that'll happen soon.

Let me know what everyone got...

Brian

paul_burney
10-13-2003, 12:01 PM
Hi guys im not a Kansas City folk but im close im in Illinois just next to St. Louis ;D ;D ;D
Paul

Discus_KC
10-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Paul,

I know a guy who has lots of tanks !!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

paul_burney
10-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Wonder who it is ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) and does he have any fish yet ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D . I bet that guy wont be leaving home for about a month :banghead:

Discus_KC
10-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Nope,

But he has some magic dust !!!!! And it is a new strain !!!!!!!

You may have to help him figure out what to do !!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

April
10-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Yes...Jack has magic pixie dust in his tanks!!! i bet your all envious!! Its gonna make discus magically appear....when he blows on it. 8) :o 8) :o 8) :o

Discus_KC
10-13-2003, 01:09 PM
April,

No, they are praying this knucklehead gets home so they don't have to hear from him !!!!!!!!!

cartoon
10-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Hello Jack, Hello Willie, Hello Brian, Hello Paul and everyone!

This is discus poster Peggy (cartoon) in Kansas City... and I am so happy to be back on the forum. I have had some problems staying logged on...I think I ate a bad cookie, so I'm hoping I don't get bumped during this reply. Guess you can say I'm "testing the water".

Willie, your discus babies look beautiful. I'll email you to see when I can stop by for another visit. I want to buy some more fish from you in the very near future.

Jack, your picture on you posts looks like a creature from the "Star Wars" bar scene. Remember when all the creatures were sitting in the bar with Hans Solo and Luke Skywalker? Whenever I see your picture, that funny song begins to play inside my head...the song with the creatures in the band playing in the bar...Hope to meet you in person or should I say " in creature" soon! Be careful over there. It's countdown to homecoming...

Brian, I'm sure I'll be calling you (probably this evening). I generally talk to Brian (jeep) every day or so.

Paul, you need to take a road trip to Kansas City some time! Perhaps we can all meet somewhere and discuss discus! Talk soon! Peggy (cartoon)

paul_burney
10-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Peggy
Jack tells me the same thing maybe a Discus meeting when he gets back??? Who knows :) :)
Paul

cartoon
10-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Paul,
Please consider it. I think we could definitely have some good food and some quality time sharing information and stories about our favorite fish. I want to design a better system for my maintenance and water changes in my fish room. It would be good to "brainstorm" with some folks who have been down that road before. I know Willie, Jack, and perhaps you, too, have had that experience. Brian is very creative and has many ideas and plans as well. We would all have a great time! Peggy(cartoon)~~~~~~~~~~>*(((<

Discus_KC
10-14-2003, 11:13 PM
I know a place where creativity could be used !!!!!!!!!

Really !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

sunflowerdiscus
10-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Greetings,
Jack, please take care. We have discus hobbyists gathering/party to do for Christmas. Ooppps!!! Never mind.

Peggy, you are welcome to visit any weekend.

I'll be glad to offer assistance to fellow hobbyists. My philosophy is KISS (Keep It Simple Silly).

WillieG

cartoon
10-24-2003, 10:22 PM
Hi Willie,
I will email you to set up a time to visit. Brian (jeep) will want to come with me, so it will be fun...I'll bring by a couple of discus anatomy prints for you to see (in person), they are awesome! My best to you and your fishes~~~~~~~~~>*(((<....talk soon, Peggy (cartoon)

Hello Jack, hope you are doing very well! Keep us up to date on your homecoming...I know you are counting each and every day. Bless you and we are all thinking of you! Hugs and fishes~~~~~~~~~~~Peggy~~~~~~~~~~~>*(((<

WOW! I can not believe my browser has not crashed!.....better count my blessings, too! It has been a struggle to stay tuned to this forum, unfortunatly....but I will NOT stop trying...HUGS and FISHES, and to all a GOOD NIGHT~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>*(((<.............................. ...........................
Hi Bri, talk soon, as usual~~~~~>*(((<