PDA

View Full Version : Pump shut off valve?

LobsterMobster
06-24-2003, 10:47 PM
I store my RO/DI water in brute garbage can and use a pump to get the new water to my tanks after I have drained them. I have multiple tanks to fill and I always manage to spill water on the floor when moving from one tank to the next. Is there an easier way to stop and re-start the flow of water without running frantically to turn the pump off?

Thanks,
KRIS

daninthesand
06-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Add an electronic switch that controls your pump (on/off) to the end of your hose and run wires to the pump to control it. This is what I have done and it works like a dream. That way you can turn the pump on or off from the tank where you are filling.

HTH

Daniel

06-24-2003, 11:47 PM
or attach a ball valve to the end of your hose so you can briefly stop the flow of water out the end as you move from tank to tank...
david

Ardan
06-25-2003, 06:40 AM
Hi,
I use a pvc ball valve, shut the valve, let the pump run, open the valve as necessary.
Won't hurt most pumps.

hth

Aquarius
07-05-2003, 07:44 PM
You could also try a remote On/Off plug-in for your pump if it's always at the
same location. Bought on for less then $5 for the Christmas tree lights, and plan to use it as a on/off for a pump when I set it up. Has a key-chain that is RF so it works through walls.

Just need a pump :)

07-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Hi all,

I also use the pvc ball valve. Until now it works great with my Flotec pump, but I am not sure if I am harming the pump with this procedure.

Ardan is that also a Flotec pump in the pic. of the thread you are referring to ?

Ronald

Ardan
07-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Hi,
That is a submersible "simmer" sump pump. Seems to work fine.

LobsterMobster
07-07-2003, 01:19 AM
I would really like to use a ball valve, but I know putting that much back pressure on a pump in that manner is really hard it. Then again, turning the pump off and on so many times is a little rough on a pump too. I guess it's one or the other. I think I'll use a ball valve, but just buy cheap rios so I don't feel bad about abusing them.

-KRIS

Larry Grenier
07-23-2003, 03:57 PM
I moonlight for an aquarium maintenance company and we block the output end with a ball valve all the time as stated above. My boss, an engineer, says that it's OK to restrict the output of most pumps but not the input. We abuse cheap rios for this purpose.