PDA

View Full Version : MY Pool Project - IT'S WORKING!!!

gary1218
06-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Got the last few things done on my new garage set up.

Hooked up the carbon block to the pool filter...

gary1218
06-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Ran the 1" line from the carbon block over to the tanks...

gary1218
06-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Ran the 1 1/2" overflow line from the tanks back out to the pool...

gary1218
06-25-2003, 12:32 PM
AND THEN I turned the water vavle on from the pool filter to the carbon block...........AND.............. drum roll please :drummer: :drummer: :drummer:.............IT'S WORKING JUST AS I HAD PLANNED :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

The first batch of discus go in the first tank tonight ;D

Water parameters right now are 80F temp and rising - we actually got some nice weather here in NYS, pH 6.8-7.0, conductivity 350us.

GARY

yellow sub
06-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Wow :o :o ;D That is one hell of a reserve...you can probably say good bye to water changes for the summer!

Stephen

chinoz
06-25-2003, 03:21 PM
wow i cant wait to see the first batch of discus in the pool !!!! congrats !!!! ;D 8)

brewmaster15
06-25-2003, 03:48 PM
Gary , too bad you live in the sub artic... that system would be great in florida year round!

-al

Pat_in_NC
06-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Hey Gary,

Great job. Just to play it safe I would check for chlorine in the tanks to make sure the carbon blocks are doing the job. I know those blocks have high capacity but just in case there is more chlorine in that system (maybe still in the pipes/filter?) than they can handle. I am sure this won't be a problem--but I would make sure before putting any valuable fish in the tank.

Good Luck with the experiment!

Pat

06-25-2003, 04:57 PM
:thumbsup:

keep the pics and updates coming Gary ;)

Ryan
06-25-2003, 05:17 PM
that system would be great in florida year round!

:idea:

Gary, how would you like to take a road trip to Florida to see your good buddy Ryan? I may be moving in a couple months to a house near Tampa that has a POOL... ;D

Ryan

gary1218
06-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Pat - that's the first thing I checked. AND, I'll be checking it on at least a weekly basis, OR, anytime the discus seem to be acting a little freaky.

Ryan - I work cheap - room & board ;D Of course I would have to bring my "traveling buddy" Mench along with me :D

GARY

April
06-25-2003, 11:19 PM
LOl ryan. will your roomates let you turn thier pool into a reserve tank? or do you think someone might have the nerve to want to swim in that pool?
hmmmmmmmmm

Steve_Warner
06-26-2003, 03:09 AM
Hi all,
Gary, that sounds like a great plan. I just wanted to add something for ya. On the Chlorine subject-since I live in a HOT desert and have a pool, you can put a pool cover(bubble wrap) over the water to heat it up and that Chlorine will be eaten up/dissipate real quick due to the heat generation. This will be a safety net to any that breaks through the carbons. Of course, the sun will do this eventually, as well, with no cover. How are ya gonna keep the water in there sanitized?

Steve

gandalf
06-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Gary... I AM JEALOUS... Wish i had a pool like that to swim in :'(

gandalf
06-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Hey somebody correct me.. is gary going to put some discus in his pool or he is going to use the water in the pool for his tanks ? i am confused ;D

April
06-26-2003, 08:48 PM
i think the idea is that that is his water storage bucket..or a large filter? come on gary.some of us cant relate.or is like an overflow tank? so they are actually swimming in 10 million gallons of water but confined to their tank? but lots and lots of clean fresh water circulating?

Huy Nguyen
06-26-2003, 10:24 PM
From what I read. I understand that the feed water come into a pool filter then to carbon block and into the tanks. There's an overflow system for the tanks that pass out into the pool and off course the pool build with overflow system as always. So, my guess is that Gary is going to put the discus into the tank. Correct me if I wrong.

gary1218
06-26-2003, 10:28 PM
You guys OBVIOUSLY weren't paying attention to my THREE earlier posts ;D

The idea is to use the 18,000 gallon swimming pool as my water holding tank. The water from the pool is directed over to the tanks after it passes thru the pool filter which is 200lbs of sand.

Water changes are done whenever it rains ;D

It's basically an expanded trickle filter. When all six 56 gallon tanks are on line there will be 300 gallons of water per day flowing thru each tank.

I'm eager to get some new babies to see what effect that much fresh water has on the growth of the discus - Cary, Jeff, Frank - I'm waiting for the babies I've contacted you about :D

GARY

April
06-26-2003, 10:33 PM
ok cool Gary.... im moving in i think with my fish!!! i bet my fry will grow with that setup.......maybe i will have to send some home with you in august as experimental fish.

gary1218
06-27-2003, 07:12 AM
April - :D

mench
06-27-2003, 07:25 AM
Hey Prill,no fair......I just may have to stow away and make the trip out west.....Himmmmm,maybe I can talk my Bud into bringing me a fishie or two home with his......Ya just never know....Ok Prill start getting you guys going......

Mench