PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time Free Swimmers

LarryDinNC
06-27-2003, 04:26 PM
It's the first free swimmers for me and my blue snakeskin pair. All seem to be doing well. Somewhere between 20 - 30 free swimimers, primarily feeding from mom's sides. Is this a large enough brood to try to raise?

korbi_doc
06-27-2003, 05:37 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hahahahaaha!!! Larry, I'm sure the experts here will tell u different, but my redSS pr started out with about 40 or so, mom depreciated that # & I think Dad has 'bout 14 or 15 that we're raising. They're 15days old & ready to transfer to 'nuther tank. This was a stubborn pr that has had wigglers 4X before I gave them their own tank in defense of the other discus in the big tank. I'm sure most who raise them would not bother with such a small brood, but it was practice for them & also for me, & I tell you I learned a lot 'bout behavior, feeding etc. I did it for the fun of it, lol, Dottie ;) ;) ;) ;)

grrrr8guy
06-30-2003, 04:18 AM
I agree theres lots to learn and observe, it took two spawns before the male in my pair had the babies as much as the female did. Both spawns about 30 fry.

grrr8guy

chirohorn
06-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Congrats. It's always a milestone.

LarryDinNC
06-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Last free swimmer disappeared today. Back to square one but progress was made and the pair seem to be getting the hang of it. Hopefully we'll get even further next time.

grrrr8guy
07-01-2003, 04:13 AM
Disapeared ? What happened sis they eat them?

grrr8guy

LarryDinNC
07-01-2003, 01:33 PM
sis?

I have to assume the parents ate them. Never saw them do it but no evidence remains.

Carol_Roberts
07-02-2003, 01:08 AM
Lol, I bet sis = did (funny typo)

Sorry fry were eaten, but they will try again soon - maybe next time :-\

colvinpatrickj
07-21-2003, 08:42 PM
I have a pair of red diamonds a little less than a year old. They have laid eggs several times and keep eating them. The last spawing though, I saw wigglers. I was so excited. The next morning, they were gone.
How long does this type of behavior continue? I am sure it will very some but my pair have been doing this stuff for about 3 months, spawn after spawn.
A little more background.... These discus are my first and were part of a group of six that I bought from a LFS.
Patrick

LarryDinNC
07-21-2003, 10:25 PM
I'm not very experienced either, but my pair now have 14 - 1 week old free swimmers. Both parents seem to be doing great with them. My guess is that if your's are now making it to wiggler stage, the parents are getting the hang of it and will continue progressing with each new spawn. Maybe another time or two and you'll get free swimmers.