PDA

View Full Version : CHASING DISCUS

lufckarl
06-28-2003, 04:08 PM
DURING THE DAY MY DISCUS TEND TO CHASE EACH OTHER ROUND THE TANK,IF ONE GOES NEAR ANOTHER IT CHASES IT AWAY,YET AT EVENING,SAY 6pm ONWARDS THEY CAN SIT SIDE BY SIDE AND BE TOTALLY NOT BOTHERD ABOUT THE OTHER ONE NEXT TO IT,THEY DONT SEEM TO BE HURTING EACH OTHER,IS IT JUST NORMAL CICHLID BEHAVIOUR? I HAVE TRIED THEM IN BB AND PLANTED BUT TO NO AVAIL.ITS PROBABLY JUST ME WATCHING THEM TOO MUCH

Willie
06-28-2003, 05:21 PM
Its normal behavior for cichlids.

Willie

afick1975
06-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Willie is correct.

Andre

EIHAB83
06-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi Mike... the same thing happens with my discus pair .... so I think it's normal ..... but with my ones the biger one is chasing the bit smaller one I think he wants to force her to breed ...
have a good day ;)

Sketchy
06-29-2003, 12:48 PM
...I'm sitting here watching this game of tag go on right now! It isn't the largest chasing, he's just interested in eating, it is the medium sized ones terrorizing everyone else in the tank. Reminds me of a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

BlueTurquoise
06-29-2003, 10:39 PM
How long have they been together in the same tank for? after awhile they work out pecking order and don't bother eachother as much (they figure out who's boss and stop wasting energy). They are probably trying to work out who is Alpha male/female etc of the pack.

My adults used to do that to no end, now a year later they are very attached to eachother (huddle for safety, communial feeding etc). Also juveniles do it more than adults do.

:)

lufckarl
06-30-2003, 07:22 AM
THANKS 2 EVERYONE FOR THAT ADVICE AND KNOWLEDGE.I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME.CHEERS

06-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Hey....uhh...BUD!(whatever your real name may be)

I dont think your user name...OR your signature is really appropriate for a forum such as this one. You might think about changing it up a bit ;)
Dont get me wrong...Im not coming off as a self rightous whatever...Ive been known to have a bad case of gutter mouth once in a while...and can keep up with the best of em ;D BUT THATS A NASTY WORD!
This aint the place for words like that....there's alot of ladies and quite a few young kids who post here.
At the very least...lose the signature.

Tony

Sketchy
06-30-2003, 09:46 AM
...since my nick isn't vulgar, I'll steal the thread. Chong you described my tank situation exactly. Thanks. All the fish were recently "united" ( 2 Red Turq's, 2 Royal Blues, and 2 Blue Turq's). All are pretty young fish. One Red Turq is the leader and the largest Royal Blue is always at his side. The rest are all very close in size, no real difference, but the smallest Royal Blue ended up at the bottom of the pecking order. I was also told that if the hierarchy didn't exist, the fish would lose interest in feeding. I've noticed that the second Red Turq is consistently taking swipes at a Blue Turq and their power struggle initiates the aggression. I'm glad to know it will settle down with time.

lufckarl
07-02-2003, 09:00 AM
OOOPS!AND HOW DO U KNOW ITS NOT MY REAL NAME.ITS CALLED POKING FUN AT MYSELF.THANKS 2 MY MUM AND DAD THAT IS IN FACT MY NAME

Carol_Roberts
07-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Yes, I can hear the boys in the schoolyard now. . . . Feel free to use your real name. It was only the tag line that made it offensive. The "sense of humor" tag line is fine.

lufckarl
07-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Thanx carol.i see it as if you cant beat em,join em.Hows usa anyway,its raining non stop in uk.boo hoo!!