PDA

View Full Version : Thank the Heater Gods!!!!

Tristanyyz
06-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Well I finally did it.

I managed to almost completely drain the water from my 20gallon tank. I am growing out a few high fins in this tank. Well earlier today they were in about an inch of water, which is what my python left for them. They must have thought I was crazy...

Anyways, not all was lost, or so I thought. I looked at the heater, which was maybe 10% in the water. It was broken, and there was glass on the bottom of the tank. OMG!!!!!! :o >:(

Were my fish getting fried by electricity? No as it turns out. There must be a safety fuse in the heater that saved my fish from being electrocuted.

As I own five of everything I require for my fish...i pluged in a new heater, and am watching it carefully to make sure I dont cook them...

Anyways, thank the heater gods for keeping my fish safe...

April
06-28-2003, 10:17 PM
well thats good..wonder how long it was cracked for?

Dave C
06-28-2003, 10:58 PM
I don't think fish can get electrocuted, they're floating in the water, not grounded. You, on the other hand, can get fried by putting your hand in the tank with a broken heater. I'd be more concerned about why your breaker didn't trip when the heater cracked. I guess, that's not quite right, it wouldn't trip. But if you're using a GFI outlet it should have tripped. And if you're not on a GFI this would be a good time to put one in. Then if this happened and your broken heater was in the water the GFI would trip and you & your fish would be safe.

Tristanyyz
06-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Dave you are right...

I thought i put my hand in the tank before I realized it tho...I dont really remember.

I think I may have seen it there, broken and I unplugged it from my powerbar. You are correct now that I think of it, I will install GFI's.
Regards,
M