PDA

View Full Version : DEMOLITION DERBY FOR SURPAE

yippy
06-29-2003, 03:07 PM
Hi Serpae, you know how you said my red devil tank looked to neat for a red devil? Well this is 36 hours after a water change, as you can see, there has been some "minor changes" !!! This pic is of tank on day of water change, all plants have been neatly secure in bowl with gravel and plants tied onto a rock with thick nylon fishing line.
Kerry

yippy
06-29-2003, 03:08 PM
and this is apporx 36 hours later.
Kerry

yippy
06-29-2003, 03:10 PM
I repeat this "procedure" every water change, putting the plant back in the bowl with rock attached a refill bowl with gravel. he keeps doing it but at least it keeps him occupied!!!! he such a nawdy boy but i still love him!
Kerry ;D

yippy
06-29-2003, 03:12 PM
See the look on his face, wondering what the heck that "great" arrow is!!!!

kerry

Block head ned
07-01-2003, 03:12 AM
yeh you told me about that a while ago, my blockheads do that, only they make huge tunnel systems when im at school, then i come home and they have theyre inocent look on their face

"we didnt do it"

"it was like that when i got here"

"erm...um... he did it"

yippy
07-01-2003, 06:03 AM
Like you to me today Ned,

How can i stop this crime?

Kerry :D

ReeferKimberly
07-01-2003, 06:44 AM
i want a red devil, those things look sweet! but if i get one, i KNOW i'm gonna try and breed it. how are they on breeding? easy, well nevermind, i'm trying to breed discus....lol. are they easier then them, b/c i can handle discus ;)
kimberly :-*

yippy
07-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Hi kimberley, red devils are really easy to keep, they can nip you at times when tank cleaning, but i can handle mine now.
they are very low maintenance, i only keep putting the plastic plants back in to keep him occupied demolishing them over and over. I do a 40% w/c once a week, and he eats anything i throw in, including my hand! Theyre great fun! have a look at www.reddevilfish.co.uk
they have videos and stuff on there you might enjoy. even you arent getting one its interesting.
Kerry :D

ReeferKimberly
07-01-2003, 03:25 PM
wow thats funny, i was looking last night and thats exactly the same site i spent all the time on. lol!
what about those flowerhorns, are they similar?
kimberly :-*

Richman
07-01-2003, 10:06 PM
I love red devils too. Hate them too. haha
I used to have a large male that was almost completely white except for a large orange band that went completely around him. Top of his back, belly, head, and tail were orange. He was beautiful. He went through three females and sired thousands of fry. In fact, I think every red devil that was bought within 50 miles of me was probably from that guy. He kept me in fish keeping supplies for a good while. I bought him at about 11/2 inches when he was still in his green camo coloration and kept him in a community aggressive tank till he was too large and mean to tolerate anything else around him. When he was about 6 inches I almost lost him because I made the mistake of putting a 10 inch talipia buttikofferi in the tank. That thing almost killed everything in there within a few minutes. Including a large green terror and a red terror. That thing was the most aggressive fish I have ever encountered. He came out and went back to lfs the next day.
Anyway, when the red devil ended up in a 20 gallon breeder tank, he lived there for more than 6 years. Dug up the bottom and made the ever present nest. I just put in a flat rock and added a female. He was very rough with her and if she wasn't ready to spawn she had to be taken out right away so she wouldn't be killed. If she were ready the aggression would taper off after a short while and within a day or two they would spawn. It had to be on the weekend, because immediately after spawning he would attack her to kill her if I didn't get her out. That is the way I lost three females. I just couldn't watch the tank 24/7. They produced hundreds of eggs and the fry were easy to keep. The male took care of them faithfully. If you even walked by the tank, he would almost knock himself out against the glass trying to attack you. The last thing you wanted to do was put your hand in the tank. They don't call them red devils for nothing. My little boy learned that the hard way. But it was ok after a couple of bandaids. They have small teeth, but they know how to use them.
I just dropped shrimp pellets and other dry food in around the fry and they weren't any harder to raise than convicts. Just keep the water clean. When fry and small juveniles they are green camo color. They begin to develop colors as they grow.
The male I had raised thousands of fry. I would pull them from him when they got between 1/2 and 1 inch.
At about 7 to 8 years old he gradually got more inactive and eventually died. I chalked it up to old age, but never was quite sure. I miss the old guy.

Oh, yes. The one thing I hate about them is you can't keep anything with them. They just take up all that tank space. ( (Males, that is.)
The female doesn't get quite as big and lives quite well with oscars, etc. A beautiful fish for an aggressive community tank. That is where I kept my females all the time except for those few spawning days when I put them in the lair of the devil.

yippy
07-02-2003, 02:27 AM
Yeah i know alot of people hate them, but i like him - hes on his own. I wanted an aggressive fish as i have discus and wanted something with a bit of "clout"! as i cant have any aggressive fish in with them. my devil has a great personality, i enjoy him - but each to their own!
Kerry :)

yippy
07-03-2003, 02:38 PM
hey Richman, i forgot to tell you i did get a dominant male convict to put in with Brutus about 3 weekd ago, the guys at the shop said i could take him back if needed, but Brutus terrorised poor little Con that much that i had to get him out of the tank and float him in my discus tank, in a large plasctic container with an air pump for 12 hours before i could could take him back to the shop. he was about 5 inches and i liked the little guy but just didnt have anywhere else to put him, i have other tanks but he would of attacked them probably. Anyway when i took little Con back i also gave the guys a huge peice of driftwood that i had bought for Con from another shop to hide in, itdidnt even get to go in the tank, so they took Con home and put him one their home tanks, so im glad poor Con has a happy now!
Yippy