PDA

View Full Version : cracked tank

gary1218
06-29-2003, 06:52 PM
I have a bulk head fitting in the top corner of my tank. I have a 2" crack from the side of the tank over to the bulk head. I was wondering if anybody has tried fixing cracks with the stuff they use to fix cracks in your car's windshield.

Anything else that works?

Thanks,
GARY

06-29-2003, 09:44 PM
I was under the impression(I could very well be wrong) that the windshield repairs they do are on tempered glass..You could always remove that piece and replace(probably inexpensively at a glass shop-they might even cut it for you free) it with a new piece...drill the hole for the bulkhead BEFORE you attach the new piece just in case you have an accident...david

06-29-2003, 10:34 PM
You're wasting your time and effort trying to repair a crack. You're playing Russian roulette with your bank account, risking a potential big repairing bill for carpet and hardwood floor replacemnt and insurance premium increase if you live in an apartment. Any extra pressure will entend the crack to the end and split the glass. To have a peace of mind and live happily ever after. There's no alternative but to change a new piece of glass. It's very easy to replace it. pm me for instructions if needed..
Jimmy.

RichieE
06-30-2003, 10:05 AM
If your a gambling man you can drop the water level and silicone the inside and outside. If your not PM Jimmy.

Mr. Limpet
06-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Gary, what size is the tank? And what size is the bulkhead and how thick is the glass? Generally speaking, a crack that ends at a hole is done. the hole provides a stress relief that spreads the pressure out over the entire diameter of the hole. Welders fix cracks in metal by drilling a hole at the end of the crack and then welding it all up. As a small experiment, take a piece of paper and cut a hole in it around half an inch. Now tear the paper slowly moving your fingers as you go. What happens when you get to the hole? That is a simplistic example, but gives you the idea behind it. Any way, Jimmy has the conservative approach. If it was in my living room???
Good Luck, Paul.