PDA

View Full Version : Patch the drilled holes?

gillyweed
06-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Any body ever patch a drilled hole? I have 2 tanks (30G) that were drilled on the sides to the lower end. And I want to patch them up to use as regular tanks.

Can I cut acylic piece about 4" to patch the holes of 2"? Or do I have to use glass piece for the patch job? I have some 1/4" & 3/8" acylic pieces laying around but none glass piece.

I've heard that acylic patch onto glass using aquarium silicon is not very good. Or is it ok to do so? Any of you have done it & succesfully proved? (No leak over time).

Thanks.

GW

shorthair
06-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Smokey would be your man in that department!!! ;) I know he has joined acrylic to glass. Devin

gillyweed
07-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Smokey,

Any advise? ???

GW

dred
07-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Gilly,

Have you considered not patching it? I'm assuming there is some piping you can attach easily. Rather than letting gravity flow water out, you can direct the pipe upwards. So long as the end of the pipe is above your water line, it will hold water just fine.

milton

CHEWAL
07-01-2003, 02:08 PM
WHY NOT GET A THREADED BULKHEAD FITTING AND PUT A PLUG IN IT IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME
;D

Smokey
07-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Gillyweed, just saw your post.
Yes you can. I have been glueing acylic to glass, with no problems. Even very large pieces.

Take a 4" piece of 1/4" acylic, make sure everything is clean and dry, use a proper silicone. Just cover the acylic with silicone and press into position. Wipe away excess silicone. Let cure. Apply a small bead of silicone around the egdes, inside and out, and smooth nicely with your finger. Let cure for 24 hours and add water.

If you want to be extremely sure the patch will never separate { doubtful } drill some 1/4" holes in the corners of the patch . Allow the silicone to squeeze through the 1/4" holes. This is similar to riviting/plug welding. Guarateened never to leak or come loose.

Smokey

gillyweed
07-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Dred,

That's what I have currently. The pipe headed upward but it seems to take up space (unless I use them as breeding tanks! :idea: ) Thanks. I may try to do that!

Chewal,

I don't know if I like to scrub around that "belly botton" very much! But thanks for your advise. ;)

Smokey,

Should I cover the ENTIRE surface of the patching acrylic with silicon or just the parameter of the hole on the tank and the outer parameter of the acrylic piece? ??? I liked your guarranty word. It's such a reassurance word! :D :D :D Thanks, Smokey.

GW

Smokey
07-02-2003, 10:30 AM
gillweed - I like to cover the entire acryic patch. When applying the patch - move it around - to remove all air bubbles. The excess silicone - spread around the edges - this is the water seal.
I have "patched " a few broken tanks using this method. Works great. For very large pieces, I drill 3/16 - 1/4 inch holes, for the silicone to squeeze through.

For a very professional look -- round the acylic piece's edges - to make it look like a circle. A 4" patch is the correct size for a 2" hole.

Nince thing about using acrlic, plexiglass, or lexan; it can always be drilled later.

Good luck.

Smokey

gillyweed
07-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks, Smokey. You've saved my day! I have 2 tanks with drilled holes. I'll try one with patch work first. The other, I may just leave it alone to see if my discus like it enough to lay their eggs. ;D Thanks again, Smokey.

GW

Smokey
07-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Not a problem, gillyweed. Thats what we do here at s/d - help people.

Smokey