PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Brass hookups

Lance_Krueger
07-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Is there any potential problems with using brass in underwater aquarium applications? Would the brass eventually break down and give off any kind of toxic stuff like copper, etc.? I need to hook up my Mag Drive pump, which has a 3/4" Male Pipe Thread, to a garden hose to pump water out of my water aging tank. I've found several brass accessories that would allow me to do this, but nothing stainless steel or PVC. Let me know if my worries are founded or unfounded. The ends of the water-potable RV hose I'm going to use look to be brass, so I guess that might answer my question.
Thanks,
Lance

RandalB
07-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Lance,
Don't worry about it. The amount of lead and copper being leached in to the water by a brass fitting is minimal. They are used for human water consumption, so it will be all right for your fish.

RandalB

Smokey
07-03-2003, 01:09 AM
I just used the cpvc fittings and a short length of hose before installing the brass fittings. The hose couplings also come in a tough pvc material/

Smokey

Jason
07-03-2003, 01:16 PM
I agree with Randal on the safety fact, but you should be able to find the parts in the garden section, even the smallest canadian tire store in my town has those parts in brass and plastic, although the plastic ones are crappy quality.

Smokey
07-03-2003, 01:29 PM
I agree, Jason; that's why they call it crappy tire.
I picked up all my heavy duty garden hose connectores from a hydro-ponics store. Excellant quality !! they have served me well for over 10 years. I even use them on my R/O unit for quick disconnetion.

Smokey

limige
07-03-2003, 04:17 PM
hehe, oddly enough, my buddy tracked down a hydroponics store within 15 minutes of my house, only one listed in the detroit area, well only one i know about actually.

Smokey
07-04-2003, 02:40 AM
Hehehehehe ... lol.... LMAO

Yeh , only one in detroit, eh . yah right.

Fisheyes
07-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Hey Smokey
What are you going to do with all them thar barrels lol
Fisheyes :rolleyes:

daninthesand
07-04-2003, 04:16 PM
I use a couple brass parts here and there and have not noticed any harm from their use.

We got several hydroponics stores in Winnipeg. A big place like Detroit should have tons of 'em. Winnpeg is know for its hydroponically grown... err... ahhh.... Tomatoes... Yes Tomatoes, thats it!

;)Daniel

Smokey
07-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Yes; I have heard of them / GREEN FRIED TOMATOES / VERY SPIRTITUAL. almost ... mind lifting, !!!!

OH , Maybe I am thinling about another vegetable .. or fungus.

Smokey

Smokey
07-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Lance ... an old rule of thumb .. if you can not eat it ... do not put it the tank..

Mind you, you must chant this verse to the Flute of Iean Anderson . [ aka -= Jethrol Tull }

Skymtn

{ my real identity } !!!!

Smokey
07-04-2003, 11:40 PM
OK..............