PDA

View Full Version : Alarming discus!

daninthesand
07-02-2003, 05:19 PM
This is going to sound like a real dumb question but here goes... :)

Have your discus ever tripped your house alarm by setting off the motion detector?

I am planning a large aquarium in my living room in a location that is exactly opposite the infrared motion detect for that area. I was wondering if large discus might set off the alarm, by being "seen" by the alarm system even though they are housed in glass....

The alarm company said it might be triggered if the fish were more than an inch or so ;D, but could not say for sure...

Anyone out there experience this as a problem with their alarm? Or do any of you have tanks set up in a similar situation with no false alarms?

Daniel

07-02-2003, 05:40 PM
I was told you can get sensors that won't be tripped by "smaller breed" dogs(you don't have any fish larger than a small dog, do you??)....maybe your alarm company(or you) could just change the sensor in your living room....unless of course you have concerns that your house might be broken into by a pack of small dogs.... ;D
david

daninthesand
07-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Well, come to think of it, I HAVE seen a small group of daucshunds recently and I wondered where they got that DVD player they were trying to hide behind their backs as I walked by... ;)

Maybe I'll try another alram company and see if they can offer that option. Hopefully thought Its all just unnecessary. I'm not sure my nieghbours walking outside my livingoom window has ever set of the alarm.

Daniel

Carol_Roberts
07-02-2003, 05:53 PM
I always thought small dog meant height from floor not square inches of body. I have a motion sensor in my livingroom with discus, but it is not across from tank. Can you move the sensor elsewhere?

Rick_May
07-02-2003, 05:56 PM
shouldn't be any movement to pick up. The sensor would be bouncing off the glass box not any movement inside it. How do I know this is the case? well, I don't but I was thinking if it wasn't the case then the alarm would go off everytime a car drives by your glass window. to the sensor a glass pane should as solid as a wall.

Smokey
07-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Hmmmm .... could be Dan is afraid some one might come in and "scoop" his discus !!!! LMAO....

daninthesand
07-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Smokey you got it right on the head. Don't you know?! A dachshund's favourite meal is a fish burger..... ;D

jeep
07-02-2003, 06:19 PM
I was told by an alarm installer that...

1. in order for the sensor to avoid an animal, it is directed a little higher in the air (avoiding contact with the dog). This is why it wouldn't work with cats jumping on furniture.

2. the sensor will actually detect someone looking in through a window even if the window is closed.

Just what I was told anyway. I would just put a blanket over the tank when the alarm is set.

Brian

daninthesand
07-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Well, the responses I got gave me an idea.

The motion sensor has a little light that goes on if you walk by it (inside the house) wether or not the alarm is "armed".

I simply went outside just now and waved my hand along the window (its about 5 feet off the ground there) in front of where the tank will be set up. The sensor did not detect it. So I went and got a large piece of wood and marched back and forth in front of the window holding it up high and the sensor still did not go off.

Of course I WAS laughing to myself the whole time I did this, wondering what the neighbours might be thinking...as if Idid not already know...."That Dan. He's such a weirdo...dicking around with those stupid fish all the time......."

anyway it was a great laugh. I'm still laughing now!!!!!HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA AH ah hha ha ha h tee heee ha hooo

Thanks for the insite guys...