PDA

View Full Version : Importing Discus

nicholas
07-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Hi guys ;),

This forum is grrrreat! Very informative and tons of fantabulous pictures of discus. Glad to be here!

Alright, I would like to get some sound advice from anyone here who had experience in importing discus. Currently, I am planning to import a batch of discus from hong kong via an agent, and is the first time for me. I believed the water parameters are different from what I have here.

So, the question is...What is the best and safest way for the newly arrived discus to get accustomed to the new water parameters? How long does this take? Any precautions that I need to take?

Need help on this. Cheers, mates! :)

Regards,
nicholas

Carol_Roberts
07-03-2003, 01:40 AM
Hi Nicholas and welcome to Simply Discus :wave:

Do you know the water parameters at the breeders?

Generally if your water is a little warmer and higher pH than the water in the bag you will be fine. I don't know where you are from, but I imagine the discus will have a long trip. Best to get them out of the bags and into your tank as quickly as possible.

Have you kept discus before?

April
07-03-2003, 02:19 AM
Hi Nicholas. one question. are your from oz? if you are....check out the importing rules. or have you?
and can you click what country your from on our what country are you from poll in general?

welcome to Simply discus. :wave:
the way i do my discus is reach in with my hand pull the fish out of the bag and into the tank of awaiting water. even after 50 hours they were fine. as long as your going up in temp and ph. as long as not too big of a jump in ph. like from 6.8 to 7.8 .
if you add oxygen or new water to the existing water after a long flight..then the ammonia becomes instantly toxic and you get burnt gills and fins.
most of the importers and breeders are doing it this way now.
nice to meet you . let us know how it all turns out.

Willie
07-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Quarantine, quarantine, quarantine, ideally in a different room from your fish room.

Willie

nicholas
07-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for warm and welcoming note! In fact, i am currently residing in Kuala Lumpur.

Carol, I have been into this hobby for a couple of years. Most of the discus are purchased from local breeders and lfs, but never hav I ever attempted importing discus from any other country. Generally, the pH here is slightly alkaline, ranging from 7.2 - 7.5.

Should I test the water in the bag before deciding on what to do with the fishes?
I believed its best if I can get some good advice on what to do from the seller.

Cheers, everyone!

Regards,
Nicholas

Carol_Roberts
07-04-2003, 12:59 AM
Yes, its always a good idea to ask the seller for advice. ASk seller what his water parameters are rather than test the bag water. Your water should be fine.

I do the same as April. . . . . pour out most of the water in the bag, reach in, gently grasp discus, plop in tank, repeat until all bags are empty, throw out bags and water.