PDA

View Full Version : 8 week fry

grrrr8guy
07-04-2003, 06:30 PM
AS I said before I had to cull some fry with bad dorsals heres a few fry that turned out a bit better. I will be looking around for better breeding stock this year. it seems tough to get stuff delivered to Canada (Toronto)

grrr8guy

grrrr8guy
07-04-2003, 06:40 PM
heres another

grrrr8guy
07-04-2003, 06:45 PM
one more

Carol_Roberts
07-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Nice close-ups! The baby in the first picture is the roundest.

You want to really hit these guys with food. Try to feed 6 meals a day if possible. Tetra bits, Bloodworms, beefheart, etc.

How many do you have left and what size tank are they in?

crazy4discus
07-04-2003, 06:57 PM
AS I said before I had to cull some fry with bad dorsals heres a few fry that turned out a bit better. I will be looking around for better breeding stock this year. it seems tough to get stuff delivered to Canada (Toronto)

grrr8guy

8 weeks old huh how big r they? and wat r colors of there parents? post sum pics so we can c thanks

grrrr8guy
07-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Crazy : maybe the size of a nickel in the body

Hey Carol

I feed em about 3 times a day lotsa food with spirilina flake tetra bits and live baby brine shrimp every meal ,

They get one 40% water change every day

There are 24 split between 2 25 gallon tanks.

grrr8guy

crazy4discus
07-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Crazy : maybe the size of a nickel in the body

Hey Carol

I feed em about 3 times a day lotsa food with spirilina flake tetra bits and live baby brine shrimp every meal ,

They get one 40% water change every day

There are 24 split between 2 25 gallon tanks.

grrr8guy

o ok thats kool there still growing just keep feeding them lil guys i got sum myself they eat like crazy!!!!

Jason
07-04-2003, 09:58 PM
it seems tough to get stuff delivered to Canada (Toronto)

grrr8guy

Hang on, it wont be long!

grrrr8guy
07-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Meet the parents

crazy4discus
07-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Meet the parents

whoa pretty nice looking parent's... the young's will look great when they grow old then... keep us updated on the babie fishes!!

Carol_Roberts
07-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Tetra Bits is good. . . .live baby brine? Do you mean you are still hatching bbs? IF yes, they need bigger food.

grrrr8guy
07-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Hi Carol

One thing I am careful of is what live foods I give my discus.

Even some of the best frozen blood worms are known to cause intestinal problems , plus I'm elergic to them.

I have not seen the live black worms here in Canada you are all raving about in the United States.

If I wasn't worried about parisites and other intestinal problems I would feed them earth worms from the back yard like I used to with my oscars years ago.

One thing I learned while breeding and observing angels is thet the fry could be taken off baby brine shrimp at a couple weeks old (2-3) and raised on other foods like flake, micro pellets etc.

When I raised angel fry on these dead foods alone they did very well but when I supplimented their diet with the live brine shrimp every meal then they thrived.

I started feeding them this way until I sold them at 8 weeks of age , they would still eat just about anything when they got to the store or new home because bbs was just a suppliment.

The idea is not to try and fill them up with bbs but to put in a few squirts with the eye dropper each meal to keep a live food suppliment in their diet.

I saw a big difference in the angel fry I raised this way and I have incorporated it in with the discus fry meals.

It is clean live food , The fish still frenzy to get some and it is higher in protein and nutrients than any "dead" food.

I even throw a few sqirts in my 90 as I have about 30 neons and a few harleqin rasbora in there who love it as a treat and I think it makes them look very healthy.

I seem to always have enough on the go around here where brewing brine shrimp is the norm.

I can only think of about two weeks in the last year I didnt brew it every day.

grrr8guy

grrrr8guy
07-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Threesome