PDA

View Full Version : what are your experiences with Big Al's?

RyanH
07-12-2003, 02:34 PM
For people that have done business with Bigalsonline.com, how have your experiences been? How is their service?

RandalB
07-12-2003, 04:28 PM
They have the best prices online that I've seen and I love the 1 year warranty on all electrical stuff. Got me a brand new UV sterilizer when the one I had crapped out after 3 months...

They will not notify you if out of stock on something though.

I'd buy from them again though.
RandalB

daninthesand
07-12-2003, 04:45 PM
Their Canadian prices are high. I've e-mailed them about this and they basically have ignored the emails.
If you live in the US then the prices appear competitive.

Of course the US website will not ship to Canada.

So much for free trade. >:(

AndyL
07-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Daninthesand:

Thats the totally opposite experience from what I've found.
They do have a price match guarantee, all you need to do is show them where the price is better (they're happy to call the store - or look at the website). The phone staffs been nothing but courteous to me; I've ordered there a few times.

Andy

daninthesand
07-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Andy I don't doubt you, but have you contacted big Al's (Canada) to price match the Big Al's US website prices?

AndyL
07-12-2003, 05:34 PM
Andy I don't doubt you, but have you contacted big Al's (Canada) to price match the Big Al's US website prices?

Nope can't say as I have, between exchange rate and customs/duties... I would expect them to be relatively similar though...

daninthesand
07-12-2003, 05:39 PM
between exchange rate and customs/duties... I would expect them to be relatively similar though...

Nope not even close....double or more check out the equivalent product and factor in exchange:

Example:

Rio 1700 water pump is $22.99 on the US site, whereas its CAD$ 74.99 on the Canadian website. At todays exchange rate (1.36) thats 55 US Dollars! More than double in price!

I may call them myself and see what they say. Thanks for the tip re: price matching

.....or I may continue ordering from elsewhere ;)

RyanH
07-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm asking because I ordered an Ebo-Jager 250 watt heater about three weeks ago and I still haven't gotten it. I called about it a couple of days ago and I was informed that it was shipped on the 30th. I wasn't given a tracking number so I don't know if this is accurate or not. The person I talked to seemed a bit defensive.

When I order from a place I haven't tried before, I always place a really small order (like one heater) and see how my experience is. If the site takes care of me with a small order I'm reasonably sure they will with larger ones. I have a 75 gal tank with some cold Discus in it. The 300 watt heater I'm using right now sucks. Whenever I turn my air conditioning on the temperature in the tank drop 10 degrees. As you all know that is extremely bad.

I really was hoping I would get the new one in a reasonable amount of time since its gettin hot out and I like to have my A/C on. oh well. :(

daninthesand
07-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Maybe big al's is just being fashionably late :)

richgrenfell
07-12-2003, 06:40 PM
I just ordered a couple of 150 watt ebos. i orderd on monday, and they were here on thursday. This was my first time with them....

Rich

daninthesand
07-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Rich.

Your location might be a factor. What city are you in?

richgrenfell
07-12-2003, 06:59 PM
I am in norwalk, Connecticut. Come to think of it, they ship out of NY if i'm not mistaken, so you are right it was probably my location....
Rich

Debo
07-12-2003, 07:07 PM
I have ordered from Big Als several times. Great prices and arrived in 3 to 4 days.
DebO

RandalB
07-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Hey Dan,
What do you want? I'll send it to you, "Sample" mail, cross shipped.

RandalB

barron
07-12-2003, 09:52 PM
I priced ebo, pumps, test kits, meds all twice the price of what I paid elsewhere. Took the link off my favorites.

Barron 8)

Mrgij01
07-12-2003, 11:11 PM
I have never had a problem with Big Als. I am in South Carolina and if I order something on Monday I usually get it on Thursday or Friday.
I have ordered a LOT of stuff from them and had no problems.

Barron, what are some of the places that you found stuff cheaper?
Always looking for cheaper!! ;D

richgrenfell
07-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Yeah Baron do tell....I compared prices pretty well, and Bigals was as cheap as I could find!

Rich

daninthesand
07-12-2003, 11:31 PM
I think maybe Barron was looking at the Canadian website and possibly thinking the prices were in US dollars.......? just a guess.

I agree the US prices on the US website are pretty darn good! Thats why it irks me that , as a Canadian, I can't order from the US website.

RandalB
07-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Yes you can Dan ;)

I wasn't kidding...

RandalB

barron
07-12-2003, 11:55 PM
Hi All

That is what happened I was at the Canadian site.

I stand corrected.

Prices look much better.

I added link back to favorites.

Thanks, I am sorry about the mistake.

Barron 8)

barron
07-13-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi

I like Jehmco, Foster and Smith and I have Petsmart match prices.

I just got 16 oz. blood worms for $8.88. They do not sell pound packs so they gave me 4 4ozs. Normal price $4.44 ea
Unreal.

Barron :)

Mike_Selley
07-13-2003, 08:25 AM
I've only ordered from Big Al's once, but I was very impressed with their customer service. I accidently put the wrong street number on my address. When I discovered it and called them, the person I spoke to said she would get it taken care of and got my stuff that afternoon. It's amazing sometimes how you get much better service from far away places than down the street! :)

mench
07-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Hey any of our Canada neighbors,if ya want have the things you ordered sent to my address and I will reship it to you...E-mail if ya want.
I think Big Al's is great...Aqua Clear 500 filter at my local Petco...$78.95...Big Al's...$29.95...huge difference,I get two for the price of one...So far I am well pleased with their service...

Mench