PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Chow?

LobsterMobster
07-13-2003, 12:41 AM
I recently recieved a free sample of salmon chow. My fish ate it, and of course I always like to provide as much variety as I can. Is there any reason I shouldn't feed salmon show?

I have a hunch that salmon chow is most likely a good food given the fact that it was developed commercially for large, fast growing fish. And hey, you can't beat it for $3/lb. What do you think?

KRIS

Carol_Roberts
07-13-2003, 01:34 AM
Give it a try and tell us how you like it. I would like to know if the pellets stay together or disintergrate on the tank bottom (is it messy)? Does it float or sink? Do the fish bloat after eating it - any constipation?

LobsterMobster
07-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Carol,
It stays together pretty well. There is a little dust, but nothing excessive. All my fish ate it, including my bettas and killifish. No bloating as far as I can tell. I think I'm going to try it out for awhile. I might even load up a couple automatic feeders to disperse a couple small portions in between feedings of worms and beefheart.

-Kris

Jason
07-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Hi Kris,

yes the stuff is good! very fouling though,

if you want to go that route try to find a pellet designed for neotropical cichlids like the tilapia feeds. those are little better designed for feeding discus than the salmon stuff, wich is developed for coldwater salmonoids.

Smokey
07-23-2003, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the advice J.

Smokey

henryD
07-23-2003, 02:48 PM
I think this is what Jason is talking about......

http://www.marbro.com/fish/fish_product_floating.htm

Be careful with the stuff.

JeffreyRichard
07-24-2003, 01:46 PM
Is the Martin Tilapia feed recommended for discus, or are any of the other feeds?