PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Fostes & Smith discus

Dazoc
07-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Hi all I don't post much, but lurk alot. I am curious if anyone has ordered Discus from live aquaria at df&s. I am placing an order this week for fish and the discus there are on sale. My purchase would have free shipping. I was also thinking of ordering from Gld but have no idea when he is available and how to reach him, his fish prices or shipping prices. If anyone knows about DF&S discus, or thoughts on the prices they are running. Like I said I will be getting free shipping so that does make a small price difference. Any help on this subject would be great. Thanks, Eli

Carol_Roberts
07-13-2003, 01:53 PM
We had a thread on discus from DrFosterSmith a couple of months ago. Same deal with the free shipping. The person never received the fish as they actually had none in stock.

There were many negative comments on the catalog ads. The discus labeled as a snakeskin is not a snakeskin. the pigeon bloods are described as having black marbeling that means lots of pepper. . . . No one has actually seen their discus - maybe they are nice and just the ads are bad . . . .

If this deal falls through like the previous poster's did, we will be happy to help you find a reputable discus supplier.
If you do get the discus I hope you can post pictures. You would be the first person on Simply who has their discus and we'd all like to see them.

April
07-13-2003, 02:12 PM
IMO i think you should contact CAry at great lakes discus before you make a decision. where do you live?
their shipping may be free.but perhaps the fish prices reflect the hidden shipping costs. dont rush into it.
heres carys phone number.
   248 414 5910
E-Mail:   aquastrong@aol.com

Address:   28656 herbert madison heights
   Michigan 48071

his website is down right now.but he has a post in breeders section with pics and lots of satisfied customers.
theres also jeff at discusfarm.us who has a banner ontop here. he has some very nice fish. you can click on his banner. or also check the hobbyist breeder post . or the discus locator section and see if anyone around you is a hobbyist breeder with fish for sale.

Dazoc
07-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick reply Carol. I thinking of getting a couple of red turk's a few snake skins and maybe a royal red. I have 6 discus now not sure what most of them are. I called and they have every thing in stock, so I think I will bite the bullet. One more question, does any have a picture of a royal red grown?

Dazoc
07-13-2003, 02:18 PM
April, I have ordered from them two times before, oddball fish and there shipping is 24.99, packed well and no hidden charges. BTW I live in Cozad NE, pretty much the middle of nowhere. No breeders whithin 2hrs. I do get a few Discus from a LFS here and there. Thanks again. Eli

07-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi,

i would also recommend Frank.

alex

brewmaster15
07-15-2003, 10:10 AM
HI,
I prefer to order my fish from a person than a big impersonal company.

Theres many good breeders/sellers that have helped people on this board, and truely care about their customers.. If I were buying discus..I would talk to them. :)

-al

Dazoc
07-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Well I bit the bullet and ordered from DF&S. they came in yesterday, I don't think I got exactly what I ordered, but chalk that up for exp.

henryD
07-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Please tell us what you got and what you ordered. Also if you can post pics that would be great.

How did they come in? How was the packaging?

Dazoc
07-17-2003, 02:23 PM
tried to post picks, no go, I don't have photo software. I ordered 6. 2 red turq. 2 snakeskin and 2 royal red. I really think I got 2 yellow pb. 1 snake skin 1 red turq and 2 cobalts colors may change and come in better with age. I hope. They were packed well in large styro box tripple bagged ,a couple heat packs with some air and water bags. I try to get my father in law to work on my pics. I don't have a camera so I took them with my video camera. I'm sorry computer illerate mostly.

brewmaster15
07-17-2003, 02:51 PM
email the pics to me at brewmaster15@att.net and I will post them for you tonight,
hth,
al

brewmaster15
07-18-2003, 10:33 AM
eli's pics....

brewmaster15
07-18-2003, 10:34 AM
eli's pics....

brewmaster15
07-18-2003, 10:35 AM
eli's pics....

henryD
07-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Hmmm I think I will have to take the "Thanks but No Thanks" portion of that.

barron
07-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Hi

I would return them. If they are not what you ordered or they claimed to sell.

Call them and question them, as to whats the deal.

Also call your credit card company they will investigate matter.

I.M.O. some under grown to their eye size for one.

Barron >:( >:(

Carol_Roberts
07-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Well, you definately have two pigeons and maybe a snakeskin and red turk varieties.

Shape and eyesize are fine. Look a bit stressed from shipping.

Send Al more pictures in a week or so after they have settled in. They sit still for pictures best after eating. Try to get side views and close up.

07-18-2003, 06:54 PM
I've seen dozens of fish much worse than that proudly posted on this site, and probably purchased for more money than you spent....they could turn out to be perfectly acceptable when full grown....good luck with them...
david

Rob R.
07-18-2003, 08:37 PM
I have ordered fish from breeders that didn't look that nice when I got them. I've also purchased red strains that stayed yellow or orange untill the fish reached maturity, then turned bright red within a few week period. I don't really see a reason to return those fish. They aren't perfect, but either are 99.9% of the fish you'll find elsewhere.
Rob

brewmaster15
07-18-2003, 08:51 PM
I guess the key here is...

Are They what you ordered, and are you happy with them. If yes...keep them... If not, talk to the seller about it and see if you can work something out.

-al

Miles
07-19-2003, 03:18 AM
Al,
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Miles

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:04 PM
Update

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:07 PM
This is an update a little late but oh well. I have six out of eight. Three turned out decent one ok, two junk. Above is the monster snake. Best out of all. Dancing with the two larger fish in the tank. Below the yellow.

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:10 PM
This is the turq. The three above had the best growth, not sure about the best shape. But thick!

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:13 PM
This is thier "Royal Red" Not the best fish but a interesting addition.

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:15 PM
The leftovers.
The other turk.

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:21 PM
The other snake skin the worst one out of 6.

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:25 PM
This is a sad group shot but I tried. The cobalt is my first discus and th pb is my lfs rescue.

12-21-2003, 11:34 PM
hey, you learned something, and they're still alive... ;)
david

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:40 PM
The big snake is the fastest growing. I feel an awsome fish but not my fav. of the group. As far as I am concerend it was a lesson ordering discus from them. I will not order Discus from them again. I have had good luck with other fish from them though. Thanks for your comments, and the time to take a look. A few more pics

Thanks,
Eli

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:41 PM
My fave. Blue Certianly not a Dr. F & S fish.

Dazoc
12-21-2003, 11:42 PM
I figured I throw this in another side hobby in my 155 bow front.

Eli

p.s. If anyone is dirving through Nebraska for the ACA. I'm about two minutes off I-80 exit 222 Cozad. Love to meet ya. I'm sitll trying to con the better half into going.

crazy4discus
12-22-2003, 03:50 AM
hrmm discus doesnt look the greatist int here

Wahter
12-25-2003, 03:33 PM
I have a friend who ordered some fancy Pl*cos from Fosters & Smith and she told me for those fish, what she got was nice.

Jean
12-25-2003, 03:43 PM
;DBeing that they(F & S) are here in WI; I have been there. They carry very few fish in the store and those that are there, are really just for display purposes. They definitely do not have discus there.

I asked about where they obtain their fish from. They go through some distributor in CA I was told. I think you are better off going through a breeder.

Jean ;D 8)

daninthesand
12-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Just wondering....how come i often see people type Plecos like this:

Pl*cos

???

Wahter
12-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Just wondering....how come i often see people type Plecos like this:

Pl*cos

???

Easy - there's a superstition that if you spell it out, your pl*co will die!!!
(actually it did happen to me once, coincidence?????) :( :( :(

daninthesand
12-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Well that explains my recent pleco losses! ;) Darn I mean pl*co losses.

Jasonek9NC
12-26-2003, 04:33 AM
My friend ordered 3 snow white and 3 red marlboro. But what he got is some red turk cross(RM) and brillant blue(snow white). Also, 2 weren't health....now 3
dead. :-\
If anyone wanna buy some good quality discus, i will suggest Cary Strong from Great Lake Discus. His fish will grow fast and health.

Jason

Ardan
12-26-2003, 09:38 AM
I agree with Jason

If anyone wanna buy some good quality discus, i will suggest Cary Strong from Great Lake Discus. His fish will grow fast and health
There are a few other good breeders too!

I am not too superstitious, but when it comes to my fish, why take chances..... I will now spell pl*cos! ;D ( I did spell it the other way and lost some :o)

Wahter
12-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Hey, when you have some fancy pl*cos - zebra, queen arabesque, and gold nuggets, etc... why take chances!!??!!
:-X :-X :-X :-X

jeep
12-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Thanks for asking Dan. I was wondering about the same thing.

BTW, all my d*scus are doing just fine ;D

Brian

April
12-26-2003, 03:52 PM
well there you have it. buy pl*ccos and never spell it out... and buy d*scus from a few of the great breeders or suppliers on this site and all will be well.
thanks for updating us on your discus. at least their alive..and you did learn from it. we all started out about the same..getting fish from lfs or where have you and learning to tell the difference as time goes on and also what pleases your eyes.