PDA

View Full Version : Discus are SPAWNING "NOW"

discusnovice
07-13-2003, 06:50 PM
I just took a look in my tank and my Red Turq and Orange Pigonblood are spawning. These fish are much too young to spawn from what I understand.

As my name implies I am a real novice and this is my first discus in 25 years or so. I purchased 5 discus that arrived on Feb 14th and they were all in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 in or so. The Red Turq was the largest at that time and is now 5 in or less as is the Orange Pigonblood.

I have no desire to raise discus and no desire to have a second tank. I have a 29 gallon which is too small for the five that I do have. I jsut last week put a divider in to seperate these two from the other as I wanted to allow the other three to eat with our the bullying that was going on. I never dreamed they had paired up, etc. etc.

I hae tried to call the person that I purchased them from to ask a few questions but got his answering maching.

I would like to discuss this with someone. I will be happy to call you if you will let me know as I have lots of questions.

THANKS!! Tulsa, OK

discusnovice
07-13-2003, 08:05 PM
Phone number (918) 760-5754

Carol_Roberts
07-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Take a deep breath, it's going to be OK. Rarely do discus raise a spawn their first try. Even if they do get them to the freeswimming stage the other fish will most likely eat them.

Sit back and enjoy the show. Just because they are laying eggs doesn't mean you have to raise them. It's not like puppies and kitties. As long as the other fish are in the 29 I doubt you'll have to find homes for baby discus ;)

discusnovice
07-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks Carol for the words of wisdom. I will try and try to stay calm and just enjoy as I am sure that they will not raise them. I do have the other three seperated via a tank divider that I did a couple of weeks ago to allow the other three to eat and be subjected to the pecing order that exist. I never dreamed that the two had paired off, just the largest and the most agressive at feeding time. They would drather chase than eat which kept the other from eating.

I feed Live CBW as well as MYSIS shrimp and frozen Blood worms. They all seem to be doing well. about 200* eggs and the parents are watching over them or possibly they have not finished as I do not know how long it takes to finish a spawn.

Thanks Carol!!!

Carol_Roberts
07-14-2003, 02:19 AM
They may fan and care for them or days. AFter 24 - 30 hours look to see if any of the eggs get black - that means they are fertile.

Discus_KC
07-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Having patience is the hardest thing to do !!!!! Like Carol said, sit back and watch. Just try not to bother them. They are developing parental instincts and that is the best part. Whether or not the spawn hatches, you have two fish that are wanting to be a pair.

Congrats and keep us posted !!!!!!!!

Jack

limige
07-14-2003, 07:49 AM
well, either you will have to sell the pair to someone or sell the other fish....

first of all, a 29 is perfect for a pair for cramped for more than 3.
second, your pair will defend their territory and beat up the others causing them to become sick or injured.

if you don't wish to raise them and don't want another tank i suggest you sell them, many people would just love to work with them and try to get them to breed successfully.

do enjoy the show, but watch out for your other fish!

discusnovice
07-14-2003, 10:48 AM
THANKS!!! :D for all the great comments. YES I know that 5 discus is too >:( many for a 29 gallon tank. I assumed that I might lose one or two and if not when they reached adulthood that I would get rid of one or two of the least desirable. :( :(

One weeks ago I placed a tank divider in the tank because of the constant harasment that the other three were getting and I wanted to feed the other three with out the constant "bullying" that was going on. Now I understand that they were trying to protect and defend their territory.

This morning the parents are taking turns in fanning the eggs, etc. I am sure that at 8 months of age that they will not raise this spawn and most probably the male is not fertile but only time will tell. I will keep everyone posted should the male be fertile.

I did talk to the Discus Breeder that I ordered them from and he assured me that they were in the 3 month range when I purchased them in early Feb. They arrived on my Office Doorstep on Valentine's Day Feb. 14th. The one that I think is the female was the largest. I will try and psot a few picturesof the pair.

korbi_doc
07-14-2003, 12:56 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I empathize completely with you. My 90g tank has 2 "pairs" working at either end. Eggs on the glass at one end, eggs on the heater for the 3rd time on the other end! Have no idea whether there is actually a pair, but not too interested anyway, so I just leave them alone. & yes they do harrass the others, but thats how it goes!! The one pair I do have for sure are in a tank alone, not too happy, it's only 20g so have to arrange another, They or I have 'bout 14 babies growin' well in a 65g. Not enough time to raise any more kids, did my part years ago, hahahahaha!!
Be interesting to see if you get wigglers. Dottie ;D ;D ;D ;D