PDA

View Full Version : Need a good camera

Nightowl
07-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Hello all, finally started shopping for a camera. Was looking at a Canon a300 but then read online that a digital zoom is not as good for closeups as an optical or opt. & digi. zoom. Any comments? Also, if anyone has a favorite camera and has posted pics. on this forum that I could refer to PLEASE let me know... this digital camera stuff is new to me. Thanks in advance for any input......J.T.

BlueTurquoise
07-14-2003, 11:23 PM
Hey there JT,

this is the Never Never Land of cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com

I am sure you will find more than you bargained for on that website.

That said I think many 3mpixel cameras offer a pretty good picture. Canon have not dissapointed me in the past. In my opinion it is worth taking note of accessories that you will require such as what batteries it needs and what memory cards it uses. These are the real nuts and bolts of a camera purchase. The camera itself is only the start! You have to think about what you want from the camera, immediate and in the future in terms of whether it's just a happy snap camera or you want to take your photography to a new level in the future.

I suggest you look into these areas:

1) a optical viewfinder is a MUST, saves so much batteries
2) Compact Flash memory cards are usually cheaper than many otehr types of cards
3) rechargeable batteries and spares have to be taken into account.
4) your home PC and it's capacity to store/process the pictures as well as maybe printing needs that you may have.

Hope that helps! and happy snapping!

Nightowl
07-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Hey Chong Ly, thanks for the speedy response & all the details. Can't wait to get a camera!! thanks again, J.T. :vanish:

BlueTurquoise
07-14-2003, 11:43 PM
My pleasure!!! Thank me by posting pics of your fish!!! ;) :D