PDA

View Full Version : Creative movable live plants ideas

Larry Grenier
07-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi folks :D Thinking about ways to have moveable plants but not use plain-old plant pots. For example, plant pots that look like tree-stumps or plants that cling to driftwood like annubias, java fern, & java moss. Maybe even boring large holes in driftwood where gravel & flourite can be placed for planting. Ideas & pictures would be nice :idea:

brewmaster15
07-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Hi larry,
I always thought that cypriss knees would be a cool one, Plant the sides and upper half.The base is larger.Looks like a breeding cone. It could be bored out with a circular drill bit.

one of these day I'll try it. The other I thought about was to silicon together various granite pieces to make a unique design in which you could plant..

The idea I really like though is one that is used alot in outdoor gardens.. You make the planted yourself out of peat and concrete in the outdoor one... and then moss and plants actually grow on the substrate..its called
hypertufa...
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00117.asp
If I can ever find a substitute for the concrete it would be an awesomething. It would have to be neutral in pH or acidic, and of course safe. .. to date I tried clay..but it fell apart to easily. :)

-al

Larry Grenier
07-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Yea, I believe the concrete would raise the pH alot for quite a long time. Anyone else?

lesley
07-18-2003, 06:52 AM
So Larry, how about your original idea with large holes in driftwood, etc. filled with peatmoss/sand type mixtures that might not be too heavy??

Don't know if you could access it where you are, here in Oz we have access to tree fern trunks, which might need to be lined with plastic if you didn't want them to drain out, but would be light and easily moved.

Or, how about plastic window boxes with some sort of covering - wire mesh holding in material with mosses or ferns growing through???

Would you be mounting these over the tank or near it or??????

Larry Grenier
07-18-2003, 09:58 AM
lesley,

I'm referring to submerged plants. I think I have some neat ideas but wanted to see others.

BTW, you ever snorkeled or scuba the Great Barrier Reef?

brewmaster15
07-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Hi larry,
I was at Lowes last night. They had "artificial landscape stone... Porous/ fibrous material. Kind of like The glass wool aquarium plants are rooted in only rigid. a 1 ft diameter stone weighed ounces. I'd think with its porous construction, it would be great to drill and plant. If it was inert it might be worth a try.

-al

Larry Grenier
07-18-2003, 10:57 AM
I guess the best test would be to put it in a container of fresh water, let it sit for at-least a few days, then test for changes in pH and maybe GH.

Hmmmmmm, interesting.

Rick_May
07-18-2003, 12:44 PM
I think that if you find one that you like you could seal it with epoxy resin or fiberglass resin an be pretty safe.

lesley
07-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi Larry,

lol, of course submerged!! can see by the plant types now!
Tree fern trunks would work under water - might add blackish colour for a while and would act the same way as peat I think and soften the water.

sadly, have never gone diving on the reef!