PDA

View Full Version : drip system???

tst-discus
07-17-2003, 01:20 PM
can anyone tell me how to set up a drip system for my tanks?? sounds like a great way to do water changes! i have 4-50 gallon, 1-120 gallon, and 4-20 gallon tall for pairs

07-17-2003, 01:57 PM
there's not really one RIGHT way to do it....everyone's situation/budget/needs are different....your best bet(what i did) is to do your homework....there are a few threads in this section, and also in the "water"' section of the board where people describe their own drip/water change systems....look at all of them, and then take the portions of their plans that work for you, and come up with a new plan of your own that will work for you...

My Drip: My system runs on an "overflow the tanks with clean water" principle...all of my tanks are drilled, with a bulkhead installed, and a hose running from the back of each tank to a drain....I run the drip itself off of the cold water line in my fishroom...the line comes off the tap to a two-stage filter(sediment filter to filter out particles in the water, and carbon to filter out chlorine) it then splits off to a number of adjustable "drip emitters" that drip water into the tanks...

tst-discus
07-17-2003, 02:15 PM
thanks for the info. i'll check in those areas

dred
07-20-2003, 09:15 AM
My system is just like Davids.

Cold water line carbon filtered into barrel controlled by float shutoff. There is a sponge filter in the barrel to take care of stray ammonia (chloramines in water) and agitate. Pond pump in barrel is controlled by generic timer. Pump pushes aged water to tanks through 1/4" poly drip irrigation line, and there is an adjustable drip emitter at each tank.

I didn't drill my tanks (actually one is drilled); instead, I built hang on the back overflow boxes.

So, I just do housekeeping, and occasional water parameter spot checks. Basically, the system operates in "set-it-and-forget-it" mode. System services 4 tanks or 190 gallons, and water change schedule can be altered by moving a couple pins on the timer.

limige
07-21-2003, 06:15 AM
interesting, so you basically use a flushing method? how much water do you change per tank?