PDA

View Full Version : PB x Cobalt youngsters

Rod Coleman
07-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Hi Folks

A while ago I posted that I had some pb x cobalt babies. Here are some pics of how they are turning out.

As Carol and others predicted, a fair spattering of pepper but some variation between individuals. It's interesting how the peppering tends to delineate where the bars would be.

They are jsut starting to show a hint of blue striation over a golden base and tend to have dark dorsal and anal fins. Some show greener striations in the fins.

Sorry about the poor photo quality.

Regards
Rod

Rod Coleman
07-19-2003, 08:46 AM
I have my favourites so I guess there will be a few keepers. :)

crazy4discus
07-19-2003, 02:38 PM
looks like the pb got the best of them

Rod Coleman
07-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Yes, they look like pigeon bloods, but I guess that raises the question what defines a pb? If you can see ghosts of bars does that make a half PB??

Rod

Carol_Roberts
07-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Nice babies, Rod.

My definition . . . if it has pepper it's a pigeon

Todd77357
07-20-2003, 02:26 AM
Its always interesting to see how different crosses will turn out. I'm waiting on my MRed x RTur fry to grow out to see what I'll have.

Rod Coleman
07-20-2003, 05:11 AM
Sounds good Todd77- lots of red.

So is MRed derived from pigeon blood? They look as if they are.

Are there any barless varieties that aren't pbs? OK Blue Diamonds, for instance - do they have bars at all when young?

Carol- if they are peppered they are pigeons, but not all pigeons have pepper so do we just define a pb as the offspring of a pb? Do you see what I'm getting at? Maybe its a dominant characteristic determined by a single gene locus but there is variation in the colour and pattern on pbs probably due to other genes, so what does the pb gene do, suppress bars I guess?

WHat happens in the F2 of pb hybrid offspring? Do you get a mixture of pb and turqs?

Todd77, how old are your fry? Any chance of pics later?

Regards
Rod