PDA

View Full Version : garlic

trizoy
07-22-2003, 01:04 AM
I visited my LFS over the weekend and talked to the guy in charge of the discus. I asked what he feed them and he said blood worms with liquid garlic added to them. He seemed to be very enthused about it.

Is it worth it to use liquid garlic on frozen food? What are the benefits if any?

Thanks.

Smokey
07-23-2003, 01:26 AM
From what I understand - the natural oils, in fresh garlic, act as a deworming agent. A very old secrete, from the guru's of discus history.

When I make up my diet for the discus; I add a whole clove of fresh garlic to every 5 pounds of beef heart. Along with vitiams, shrimp, green peppers, yellow peppers, etc.

Healthy and happy discus.

I am not too sure about the liquid garlic, available in health food stores ... some say it is ok , some say it has other fillers [ for human consumption].

MMMMMMMM .... fresh garlic !!!

Smokey

trizoy
07-23-2003, 10:39 AM
I feed my fish mysis shrimp, blood worms, ocean nutrition formula one, and tetra min pro flake food. Could and how would I add fresh garlic to the food.

Would I just thaw the frozen food and add fresh ground garlic to the thawed food?

how much?

jeep
07-23-2003, 10:52 AM
How much depends on the fish. IME, you can't just start feeding them a high dose of garlic. Mine ate the food and spit out the garlic until they get use to the taste.

I gradually worked more and more into my beefheart mix and am now up to 3 full heads of garlic to about 3 lbs of mix. I'd like to get it up even further in the next few batches.

As far as adding anything to frozen foods? I'd be cautious in thawing and re-freezing frozen foods, unless you mean to add the garlic before feeding. In that case I would think the garlic would not hold to the food. You need some sort of binder to keep everything together.

Brian

cobalt
07-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Dr. A corloni did a major work on the effect of garlic ext. on the parasite germ Micobacterium marinum (aquarists finger).

The good old don (Don corloni :) ) found out that adding it to the food really helped them to get over infection.

just no kissing the fish afterwards!

anyway a garlic O.D. will make the tanks water smell and might hurt the filers bacteria.

I use a clove per kilo ground up.

Cobalt

RichieE
07-23-2003, 01:32 PM
I've been useing chopped garlic and Garlic Guard by Seachem in the mix. The result is the worst smelling pile of sh__ i've ever smelled. I have not heard of anyone getting bad results by useing it and I think most would agree it probally does some good. Rich

jeep
07-23-2003, 01:41 PM
You might be interested intreading this thread at daah.

Very interesting. However, I added too much to the food and they spit it out. Increase slowely over several batches.

http://daah.info/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1228;sta rt=0

Smokey
07-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Yup, you have to sneak the food to them.

Same thing here; any new discus are not too sure what to make of this garlic stuff ... after a few feedings they go nuts over it.

As for any odour .... the smelll of success !

Mike_Selley
07-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd throw in that Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 flake food now has 2% garlic added.

fcdiscus
07-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Hey! Some of us like the smell of Garlic. And I been eaing it for years- never a tapeworm or fluke in my system! Frank ;)

yogi
07-23-2003, 10:05 PM
I just want to add that Ocean Nutrition pellets formula one and pellets formula two contain gralic. I don't read the saltwater fish boards any more. But some of them used a liquid garlic that was sold in GNC. I can't remember the name, but it comes in a small red plastic bottle.

Smokey
07-28-2003, 01:53 AM
Frank; are you sure it was only the garlic ? ? ? ? hahahahaha

All my ancisters grew up on the garlic ... part of our heritage.

Heck , once my materinal grandmother had her poppy garden rippped out, by the police! Something to do with illegial substances.

I was too young to understsand ... however --- my grandfather was never "really " as happy after that....

Smokey