PDA

View Full Version : Need some info in detail

sharma
07-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Hi !

Would like to seek some information in detail on the following.

1. What we mean exactly by vaccuming the gravel? How we do it? Do we have some specific equipment for the same? Please help me out by giving info on the same and how is it different from the normal gravel cleaning?

2. If we put 2 inches of very fine sand and on the top of it if we again place a glass sheet which covers the sand surface, on the top of it we pour water and leave the fishes. Through this we get a feeling and beauty of the sand and also the cleanliness can be maintained. I have not tried this. Will this work or does it cause some harm to the fishes. (For a discus tank which requires bare bottom).

3. Are there any members from india in this group, or how do I search for the people by location.......

Though a bit Ignorant, hope you will bear with me.

Regards
Sharma

Carol_Roberts
07-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi !

Would like to seek some information in detail on the following.

1. What we mean exactly by vaccuming the gravel? How we do it? Do we have some specific equipment for the same? Please help me out by giving info on the same and how is it different from the normal gravel cleaning?

2. If we put 2 inches of very fine sand and on the top of it if we again place a glass sheet which covers the sand surface, on the top of it we pour water and leave the fishes. Through this we get a feeling and beauty of the sand and also the cleanliness can be maintained. I have not tried this. Will this work or does it cause some harm to the fishes. (For a discus tank which requires bare bottom).

3. Are there any members from india in this group, or how do I search for the people by location.......

Though a bit Ignorant, hope you will bear with me.

Regards
Sharma

1. A gravel vacuum is a clear plastic tube about 16 inches long and 2 inches wide attached to a hose (to drain water). It sucks debris off the bottom of the tank without sucking up the gravel. What do you use to siphon (suck) water and feces from your tank?

2. Better to use silcone or other "glue" to glue sand to outside bottom of tank. Unless you can silcone or glue 2nd glass panel so that no water can reach the sand/gravel layer inside tank. Other wise you will grow aneraobic bacteria :-X between the two panels of glass.

3. Here is Beta http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=;action=viewprofile;user=beta You can IM with the green scroll on the left. Perhaps he can put you in touch with others.

angel12
07-24-2003, 05:16 PM
not only that but as far as looks are concerned you will have a line of glass running approx 2" along the front of the tank IMOH it seems a bit pointless to have gravel if you arent going to plant you might as well stick with BB ..like carol said it needs to be water and air tight other wise anerobic bacteria will form and you will get pockets of Hydrogen Suplhide .. not good for your fish if released into the water coloumn

only put gravel in if you are going to put plants or decorate your tank otherwise paint the bottom and leave it BB you can still put potted plants in the Tank or some bogwood and a java attached to it if u dont want to make it look to sterile ...

HTH

:)

sharma
07-25-2003, 01:57 AM
Thanks Carol!

Very informative reply. I have seen some tools for vaccuming the gravel (The same tube, you are mentioning).

The idea of second glass on top of sand is dropped. I dont want to take any chance of welcoming the bacteria and other unwanted guests to my tank.

Regards
Sharma

korbi_doc
07-26-2003, 07:01 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi Sharma, you've had great advice here. Don't know what kinds of paint would be available to you, but I've used an American Accents Stone Creations by Rust-oleum Corp. This is a spray,"speckled", in brown & other colors that looks like wet sand on the bottom (sprayed on the outside of the tank). If not, just a slightly darker brown latex paint if you can get it would work. & potted swordplants are easy; driftwood with either real or plastic plants help make the tank more natural looking. Good luck, hope you can find something to help. I have also 1 tank with small stones glued to the bottom with aquarium cement that looks really nice, but is still bb! good luck, Dottie ;D ;D

sharma
07-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Thanks Korbi,

Will tyy on that, If I find good paint( With the features that you have suggested ) is Ok, otherwise will continue with some potted plants and driftwood till my discus grow little older

Regards
sharma

beta
07-28-2003, 01:56 AM
Hi Sharma,
Welcome to Simplydiscus :)
We have a big fan following for discus in India. Some of us like Arpan, Ashish and Balaji are members here.

We do have a portal for Indian hobbyists at http://www.indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community

This is not specific for Discus but the whole aquarium hobby in India

sharma
07-28-2003, 03:39 AM
Hi Beta

Thanks for the hearty welcome you have extended. Yeah I did visited the site and I am also a member of it. Love to hear and share more info....

Regards
Sharma