PDA

View Full Version : Would this set up be ok ?

angel12
07-27-2003, 06:30 AM
im going to have to relocate my Tank due to building works being carried out on My house :'(

Im looking to get a 24x24x24" tank due to space.. powred by a Large Sponge filter with Air pump one that is already in my Tank .... it will be BB

Thing is I will be using Tap water wereas I used to use Ro water ... It contains Chloramine so I will have to use a reagent to neutralize it ... question is should I still age the water or can I just heat it and put it in the tank .. My ph at the moment is 6.0 and the new Ph is 7.0 I appreciate that my Discus will take time to adjust again how would I go about adusting them to the new perams ?... is there a better way other than above to accomodate them .... am I also right in thinking that if this is BB the amount of water that I will need to change will be greater than in my Planted tank what would you say is a good start for 4 Adults 50% every day or what regime would you suggest ....

:) Thanks or looking In

Ardan
07-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Hi,
50% wc / day would be great.

I like to age water even if the ph is not that different.

What is the difference in ph from your tap vs. the ph on aged water for 24 hrs in a bucket? that would determine aging or not. If its stable at 7 even after aging, then you can use tap water for wc

hth

angel12
07-27-2003, 10:28 AM
Thanks Ardan :) My tap water is Ph 7 and very soft Kh is 1 Gh is 2
if I leave it to stand it doesnt change PH ive left a cup out for 24 hrs and the Ph is still 7.0 would this be ok to use ....? would 50% be to much or can I reduce it to say 50% everyother day ?

:) how would I get my fish to adjust from being in 6.0 to being in 6.8-7.0 also at the moment they are in Pure Ro water mixed with essential minerals would they not like the Tap water as it has all kinds of stuff in it that they wouldnt be used to The Guy I got them from also used RO water so this will be the fist time they will be put in normal Tap water with the Detoxifier for the Chloramine .. Going to Use Kent Product to do that ....

:)

Carol_Roberts
07-27-2003, 05:24 PM
It is easy to move them up in pH. Just start doing daily water changes with the higher pH water. You may want to do two 25% water changes the first day instead of a 50% change.

I like holding tanks too. You can heat dechlor the water in a holding tank, but if your water from the tap is close in pH you can fill from the tap. Add the chloramine remover before adding the new water.