PDA

View Full Version : Al Sabetta ... aka CT Croc Hunter ....

JeffreyRichard
07-29-2003, 09:42 AM
I'l like to send out a HUGE thank you to Al for hosting my daughter Elizabeth, my nephew Ben and myself on a FABULOUS snake-hunting day this past Saturday :thumbsup:

For those of you who don't realize that Al isn't just a Discus guy and webmaster extraodinaire ;), he is a biologist who knows his stuff ... he had some great stories about visits to the Everglades, Texas, and other exotic US spots. Turns out we both share a passion for reptiles, so he put together this outting.

Al lead us through an AWESOME state park in Eastern Connecticutt. A beautiful deep lake, a wild beaver pond, and lots of rocky ridges for snakes. Our goal was to find the Black Rat Snake and the venomous Copperhead.

We hiked around for several hours, and found lots of misquitos and horse flies (or did they find us?) ::) We found an interesting minature tree frog, and "discovered" a Loudmouth Red Backed salamander (named for my extremely persistant nephew !!! ;D). But alass, no snakes. Of course, we joked we'd end up finding one next to our cars once we got back from the long hike.

And guess what? Yep, 100 yards from the parking area, in the last rocky ridge around, I decided to take a quick look. And lo and behold, I found a four foot Black Rat Snake ... GORGEOUS!!! ... a real beaut. We held him for a bit, let the kids pick him up (he did bit me once but it didn't even hurt, as far as you all know). We let him go and left satified with, at least my first objective.

Al then treated us to a cookout on his family's campsight with some grilled burgers and 'dogs and we relaxed for a bit before heading back to Rhode Island.

A grand day ... :sun:

Al has some pix I'm sure he'll post.

Thanks AL!!!!

07-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Hey Jeffery.....

Sounds like you guys had a Great time ;) I understand that Al and his wife Carrie sure know how to entertain ;)

lkleung007
07-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Yep That's Al,

A man with many talents!!!

Snakes and I just don't mix :o

Regards, Lester

April
07-29-2003, 11:03 AM
sounds like a cool day . id rather look for little fuzzy animals though.
glad you had a great time.

brewmaster15
07-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Jeff,
When I just logged in I saw my formal name on the heading and thought... uh-oh... I'm in trouble again! Thankfully I wasn't!

I'm glad you had a great time, Its been a while since I was out and about like that and I really enjoyed that day and the company!

In addition to all that Non-discus stuff, Jeff and I did find Discus conversation creeping back in to the conversation abit here and there :) :) :).. Having boards like this one around has definetly helped me find some great friends with similar interests!

I do have the pics to post, and here they are...

brewmaster15
07-29-2003, 11:35 AM

brewmaster15
07-29-2003, 11:37 AM

brewmaster15
07-29-2003, 11:41 AM

brewmaster15
07-29-2003, 11:43 AM
... The small tree frog, commonly called a spring peeper...This one recently was a tadpole.. it will double in size and then next year, bless us with its song!

brewmaster15
07-29-2003, 11:43 AM

brewmaster15
07-29-2003, 11:45 AM
.... The Richards expedition....

brewmaster15
07-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Jeff,

This fall... we'll find those Copperheads... I have no doubt... maybe even that elusive wood turtle. I'll be out there camping abit between now and then so you can be sure I'll look for those dens.

-al

Jason
07-29-2003, 11:58 AM
looks like a Blast!

I gotta head to Al's!

I've only found wood turtles twice :( I'm at the far end of their range though.

RyanH
07-29-2003, 04:41 PM
How fun!

Al, I am a biology major with a soft spot for reptiles as well. If you ever want to come to Michigan I would love to show you the wonderful things this state has to offer!

-Ryan

brewmaster15
07-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Ryan!

Thanks for the kind offer! I'll be sure to take you up on it. I have a few friends out your way..One of these days I'll get to visit them!

-al

ps...Jeff ... heres that baby wood turtle I told you about hitching a ride with a box turtle...

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/16/21/9595670-8ab7-02000159-.jpg
:)