PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding medications

DiscusJeff
07-29-2003, 10:01 PM
I was fortunate to hear Dick Au speak at the ACA. He brought up an interesting point.

He said he avoids medicating his fish. He feels that fish that have been exposed to meds such as anti-biotics, etc. will not grow to full size.

I've never thought about this before, but has anyone experienced stunded growth in young fish that have been medicated?

Jeff

dano
07-29-2003, 11:55 PM
So what is the plan when fish get sick or parasites? Does he still use salts and or garlic or other natural treatments?
dan

barron
07-30-2003, 12:15 AM
Hi

A sick fish without treatment will be deadly stunted.

I do not know this person motives.

However;

Some of those who sell, want a growing market I.M.O.

Barron :)

yogi
07-30-2003, 10:40 PM
I have not heard Dick Au speak in years. In the past he was an advocate of large water changes and high heat before anything else.

CARY_GLdiscus
07-30-2003, 10:50 PM
Dick,
Was great Speaker this Year and a great friend!

However We bumped heads alot! If he only New what I fed the winners hee.hee.hee
Cary Gld

P.S Also I find that statment Untrue IME in My water

brewmaster15
07-30-2003, 11:07 PM
Dick Au is a very knowledgeable person.... I don't presume to know what the context he spoke about.it in ... but I think you need to really put this into a realistic context.... is it good to go out and buy a bunch of antibiotics and throw them in your tank when the fish looks a little off... absolutely not.

If the fish has fin rot? is passing tape worms, or massive amounts of white/yellow feces few would tell you not to medicate, they may be silent though when you ask, and most of those that would tell you no meds , probably have a stash of meds also... just in case.

IMO/IME ....There is nothing wrong in using the right med, at the right dose and for the right condition. It can save a fishes life just like they ave other livestock and peoples lives.

... There is everything wrong in using the wrong med, wrong dose, and for the wrong condition.

I agree with Cary 100%.

-al

Miles
08-02-2003, 02:30 AM
There is always a place and time for everything. Just knowing the right time and right medications to use is the important part.

Miles 8)