PDA

View Full Version : Drs. Forster and Smith

barron
07-29-2003, 10:06 PM
Hi All

For your information!

I spoke with Arron tonight, at lenght about Discus.

They will be making available, Red Melons and Red Diamonds.

They will call me with the prices and they will be adding them to the list of fish they carry.

We spoke about, "recourse", if one is not happy with the Discus they bought. Because they are sick, stunted, wrong type or size.

The recourse stated to me "call us, and we will want the fish back only if dead, if alive you keep them. Monies or new fish will be given at your option".

They are also now looking into changing the care instructions they recommend.

I enlightened them to this site.

After all said, I was very happy with the P.R. and their commitment to the product.

They have no problem returning monies if you are not happy. ( For reasons stated above).

I also ordered 15 pounds of Blood Worms for them.

They need to ship in two orders only 10 pounds available and I got them ;D ;D a new order is due in on Monday.

They lost money on this sale. $6.59 per lb. 19.99 shipping.

Second part of fill is on them.

And if they are brown, they will send fresh ones.

They seem to be trying to carry a good product.

All I.M.O.

Barron :)

Dazoc
07-31-2003, 11:35 AM
I just bought 6 discus from them. First they sent the wrong ones. I got two free ones tuesday, One is horrable looking, I called them on it, saying it had a bad shape, huge eyes, and looked ill. All I got back was a call to treat it with Maracyn and have a nice day. This is all after they state that the fish are health checked before shipment. I understand that it was free fish anyway, but do you replace the wrong fish with bad fish. This is just my experence and opinion.

P.S this is one I got tuesday

Eli

Dazoc
07-31-2003, 11:36 AM
I hope.

chirohorn
07-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Why anyone would order expensive live fish from a huge, impersonal entity is beyond me. Barron, learn from Dazoc's mistake. There was another thread on this subject already. Dr. S&F is an awesome place to order general merchandise & foods, not discus!

Dazoc
07-31-2003, 12:25 PM
I feel that thier customer service was excellent in thier live aquaria section, the first time, they called me and asked how I wanted it taken care of. I tod them I wanted the correct fish, they were sent out no charge. I guess the second time they felt like I was trying to cheat the system. I sent them the pics though. I think tht most of the fish I got from them will turn out ok, few execeptions(sp.?) I will also say that I do purchase thier frozen food and have had no problems.

Eli

brewmaster15
07-31-2003, 01:25 PM
Discus are by far one of the most special aquatic organisms you can buy, in my unbiased opinion. :)

Buy them from someone who feels as I do, and you will make out much better with your fish. :)

hth,
al

fcdiscus
07-31-2003, 01:30 PM
Dazoc, That is one POOR looking specimen! They should be ashamed. Frank >:(

barron
07-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi

I came close to buying from them a few months ago.

Thank god for the screw ups or I would have.

After being more or less told to run, from all, I did.

However, I think I may try them again. I will video tape everything for opening box on. ::) ::)

Judges love that stuff. ;D

And then raise hell. ;D >:( ;) ;D

May need something to do.

Barron

barron
07-31-2003, 04:25 PM
And better yet

I will order min fish at a time and the cheapest.

It will cost them in shipping fees. They ship Fed-Ex.
Not Delta Dash or Airborne. About $100.00 plus fee.

Here is Airbornes page they compare shipping prices.

http://sbw.airborne.com/CompareRate/CompareRateInfo.asp

Carol_Roberts
07-31-2003, 04:39 PM
You are thinking of ordering from them so you can return the fish as unacceptable?

I don't think I'd want those fish in my home system even if I did enjoy fighting with a big corporation.

barron
07-31-2003, 05:31 PM
Hi Carol

I would keep them alone.

And they would need to pick them up, if they wanted them back. I told them I do not ship.

It is ashame what people do to fish or animals as a whole,
someone needs to teach them a lesson.

It maybe me.

I have spoken with them for over an our already.

barron
07-31-2003, 05:52 PM
Also

After seeing this.

I will only buy when I know shipping will cost them more then the profits.

Like the bloodworms stated above.

Aquarius
07-31-2003, 08:45 PM
I happen to live only a short 2 1/2 hour drive from the Drs.

Their service is great. The Blood Worms i picked up there were very
nice and bright red. Beats shipping them and having them either get
lost or thaw out.

When i was there the first time a couple years ago, i asked to see
the discus they were selling. The reply i received was, "Nobody is aloud
to go back to where the fish are"

Well, I really thought that strange, and for that reason alone, will never
buy Discus there! Now, for saltwater fish, I do and will continue to. Of
course, IMO every discus is different, and that is why one needs a Pic
or to see it in person.

Don't chance buying discus there just to try and get some free, it's not
worth the headache, and then when you do order again from then, they
won't be as nice :)

Dazoc
08-01-2003, 12:45 AM
I'm going to call them Friday and let them know that I'm not the only one that thought that fish is poor quality. If worst comes to worst I’ll tell them about this thread. I’ll let you know what happens. On a second note I have bought many fish besides discus from them and have been very happy with them. Like I said some of the discus I got may turn out to be ok fish, but not spectacular. I’ll post more pics later. Brew is right, they are just to big to care about one type of fish in particular. I was going to buy from Cary, but wanted to see what they had to offer. Well, we all know now.

Eli

08-01-2003, 03:04 AM
Hi Barron,

Hi All

We spoke about, "recourse", if one is not happy with the Discus they bought. Because they are sick, stunted, wrong type or size.

The recourse stated to me "call us, and we will want the fish back only if dead, if alive you keep them. Monies or new fish will be given at your option".

After all said, I was very happy with the P.R. and their commitment to the product.

They have no problem returning monies if you are not happy.
(For reasons stated above).

I don't understand you. They say they will only accept Dead fish?
That means stunted or whatever (still alive) is your problem.
How can you be satisfied with such a statement?

Ronald

barron
08-01-2003, 03:32 AM
Hi Ronland

I guess I was thinking of the ad and would consider a B fish less then the claim made, and most own some nice B fish.

And thinking one who would make that offer would have a good product.

However

I see your point, what would one do with culls.

Good Point!

I guess mail them back in an envelope. That would be as sick as them. :(

So that would not work.

Maybe charge boarding fees!

Jean
10-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Old thread here I know... but

I have been to F & S as well and have spoken to them at length regarding live fish they have on the phone. It is my understanding from this, that they do not have fish at the corporate offices in Rhinelander, WI that are for sale or to ship. They do have a few tanks set up there for display. I was told they(fish) are shipped from CA.

Just what I have been told~
jean ;D 8)

mtwinn
10-12-2003, 04:59 AM
Obviously for a company like F & S, they don't breed these discus in house. Judging from Dazoc's discus, it looks like some crook is passing culls off to F & S. I wonder who supplies their discus.

stygian7
10-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Also

After seeing this.

I will only buy when I know shipping will cost them more then the profits.

Like the bloodworms stated above.

Barron,

I don't want to pick a fight, but why do you see it necessary to retaliate against DFS. You are already gloating over getting the better on the live food and not personally having a problem with them (At least as far as I know from your posts). People who are always looking for a loophole to cheat companies like DFS cause prices to increase.

As far as the Discus go, Dazoc, I'm really sorry that the fish were clearly substandard. I've made the same mistake before with another large discus seller. In the future I would suggest checking on this board before buying live discus. Besides that, I've seen DFS discus prices-they're astronomical! I've heard excellent things about Cary's discus (Great Lakes Discus) on this board. I live near him and am going to go visit sometime in the next couple of weeks. With any luck, I'll return with some new fish. I'll post my experience on this board.

-Kevin

mench
10-24-2003, 07:30 AM
Barron,with so many discus people in Fla and others down south that ship,why in God's green earth would you or anyone even consider buying fish from a big wherehouse store????????
Do yourself a HUGE favor and get your fish from discus breeders,you will be much happier and not be worried about sending back dead fish.
Again,DON"T do it.....look around on the boards for Fla discus people.

Mench

Paulio
10-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Bottom line on this for me is simple. My time is far too valuable to waste it trying to gain "recourse" from a place I knew ahead of would more than likely send me junk fish. One of the reasons this forum is so great! You can learn where to go and where not to go based on others experience. Between kids, fish and worrying about a shipper dropping the ball I have more than enough stress :) I for one am not looking to add any more. I know some view this kind of thing as sport but this is something I just dont relate to.

Paul

Miles
10-24-2003, 11:11 AM
I truley do not understand why a person would even consider buying fish from Dr.s F & S, while there are such people as Cary from GLD and Jeff from Discusfarm around.

???

Carol_Roberts
10-24-2003, 01:38 PM
This is an old thread. Barron has since sold all his discus. I doubt he reads Simply anymore.

bikhu
10-25-2003, 07:49 AM
Perhaps I misunderstand, read it wrong or am naive. I thought that you articulated your frustration about the way some people treat other people and animals. To continue playing a game that is destined to be lethal to Discus, infuriate and frustrate the staff at the company (who are probably working for barely minimum wage in most cases) and frustrate yourself is sure to multiply the suffering of all invloved. Here at Simply Discus we share an understanding of the unique needs of Discus. Most of us understand, through our personal experiences, that typical retailers usually do not have the experience or resources to attend to those needs. It is the overwhelming reccomendation of the members here to purchase Discus from knowledgeable, experienced Discus breeders. With all of this knowledge in our arsenal why would anyone fight such a frivoulous battle? Please for your sake and the sake of all involved... visit one or some or all of the skilled breeders. I have favorites that I am attached to and will continue to purchase from (although right now my house is full... any carpenters available to build a new fish room for me? ;)) because the service, quality, and price are all exactly where they should be. Do yourself a favor. Inexperienced retailers will get the message... when they demand is gone they will no longer be able to afford bad business.
JMHO...
Be Peace...
peter